Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't think I was comparing hlcd vs non. I think it was apples to apples and all were the marine speakers on the top row. Yes, I did take the easy way out, but mostly so I didn't show off my ignorance. Many of the audio posts read like Chinese to me.

So, from a simpleton's standpoint:

Polks - Sounded very nice. Good combo of volume & clarity. A fantastic upgrade/option from stock.
    Kickers - These are upgrades from stock. They sounded very nice also & I liked the looks.
    JL - As mentioned, my favorite. Hard to describe - wasn't the loudest, but was biggest sound. I also appreciated the more reserved look of these speakers.
    Exile - Love 'em & have heard them on the boat/water. Lots of volume, sound good but not as good as JL.
    Wetsounds - Loud, sound good and looked to be very well made. I'm not a big fan of the look. For some reason it reminds me of something I might find on The Red Baron's bi-plane.

Don't know to what degree the environment impacts my thoughts and if my opinion would change when out on the water. I'm thinking for in boat speakers, the above would stand. For towers, I suppose it all depends on what one wants to accomplish - surf, wakeboard, clean or loud. At one point i my life, I would have gone for loud as he!!, but now I better appreciate the clarity. You could hear everything crisp & clean with the JL's that I couldn't with the others. I listened to the same tracks for comparison. The JL's almost put a vision in my head of the springs on the bottom of a snare drum. Wish I could describe it better.

Bottom line: I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these selections. To each his own in regards to price point and desired performance. A deciding factor for me might be reviews from users in regards to reliability b/c none of this would be considered "cheap" in my book.

Drew, when I said hlcd vs non-hlcd I was referring to the towers. For some reason I was thinking the JL's are component speakers. < I may not know what I'm talking about either.

I'd love to get down there and check out the shop sometime.

Also, as far as mail order goes, since it was brought up earlier, I have bought several things from Earmark and it's always a simple transaction and the product arrives within the week.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Ian - cheeck out these painted cans! David had seen your post and said yours "looked awesome!"

Haha. Sweet!
    2013 Outback V

Would you believe that I painted those by hand with my Testors model building kit?

wolf, your description of how the speakers sound is the exact reason to take music with you and buy your speakers first when building a system from the ground up.

buy what sounds good to you, not what the masses dictate
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I would prefer to hear stuff on the water or at least outside. Room acoustics can make a huge difference. My Exile speakers sound weird in my garage with the tower folded down but outside they are awesome.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I agree with you but I'm not sure how that can be done as everyone sets their systems up differently with how they are powered, how many speakers, speaker types, etc. This setup allows for a good apples to apples comparison.

I can leave you with this final thought: if you want to talk marine stereo setups, call David. He probably has his favorite(s) too, but will give you all the facts you need to make the best decision possible for what you're trying to accomplish.

kaneboats,
    Speakers can sound weird in a garage for a number of reasons. Its a terrible place to judge your speakers. A garage can be a bit of an echo chamber so you get an inordinant amount of ambient radiation in comparison to the direct radiation. The reflective wall surfaces serve to reinforce some frequencies while other frequencies suffer from cancellation. The boundaries impact the wall surface to listener and impact the speaker to wall surface. The resulting comb filter modes can be brutal. These are all issues that recording studios are very careful to deal with. And these are all playback issues that are mostly nullified in our soundroom design.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Last edited by EarmarkMarine; 02-07-2012 at 04:19 PM.

I think that's what I said.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I know. I just wanted to increase my post count.