Default consider upgrading ballast fiil system

I was looking at wakemakers and considering a changing to reversible pumps. Do you need to have vented loups and or sprinkler valves installed?? I am having a hard time to find this out. It would seem so simple just to switch to all reversible pumps, (increased fill times) and easy installation.

All I would have to add is one through hull and that is it, eliminate all drain pumps ect.

Any ideas? or has any one else done this??
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

A number of folks have gone this route. As with everything in life, there are positives to this change & negatives.

these may help

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....eversible+pump

No loops needed, no checks needed. The impeller acts as a check. Not the fastest or the cheapest system but the most reliable.

Like Drew says goods and bads.

PWI as usual...

yeah, I like the simplicity of the system, faster fiil for me but the price is going to be the factor.
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

That is correct, no vented loops required and no sprinkler valves required. One thru-hull in the bottom of the boat can be the intake and the discharge. You still might want to run a bag vent, though. The main drawback of the reversible system, other than the cost, is how to deal with the pump run time. If they run too long dry, they can burn up. A pump timer is available, but its about 100 bucks. Or you could use a semi complicated system of check valves for visual confirmation of fill/empty, but they can restrict flow some.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    That is correct, no vented loops required and no sprinkler valves required. One thru-hull in the bottom of the boat can be the intake and the discharge. You still might want to run a bag vent, though. The main drawback of the reversible system, other than the cost, is how to deal with the pump run time. If they run too long dry, they can burn up. A pump timer is available, but its about 100 bucks. Or you could use a semi complicated system of check valves for visual confirmation of fill/empty, but they can restrict flow some.
    Isn't a vent thru hull required so you don't pop the bag and know when it is full? Anyways... I thought I saw a diagram on the wakemakers site that showed how you could run some extra piping with reversibles so it would empty out of a thru hull on the side of the boat. This way you could just watch or listen for the water to stop splashing into the lake to turn it off. We might consider that upgrade someday in the future since right now our reversibles empty through the bottom of the boat.

On another note, does anyone know how much draw it is on a battery with 3 reversibles running all at once? I'm assuming with only 1 battery anytime we run any of the pumps we should leave the engine on just to be safe, but was wondering if someone knew a bit more on the battery draw...
    Last edited by bret; 02-08-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: clearing up some confusion in the language
    2000 Mobius V

I have heard of folks not using a vent. I guess theoretically it is possible if one is using fat sacs. If upon emptying, all the residual air is sucked out of the bag, when it is time to fill, it will fill with water. Basically, if there is never any air in the system, it shouldn't get in, but that is in a perfect world.

For the Jabsco pumps, they draw 12 amps each, so it would be a significant draw, so it may be safer to leave the engine running. I have also heard that since the charging system from the alternator runs at a little bit higher that 12V, like 13 or 14 when the engine is running, so one could deduce that the higher could possibly spin the pumps a little faster that if the engine is off? I am not an electrical engineer, so I can't prove it, but is sounds right. Like revving an engine while jump starting a car? Anyway, my buddy in his MC idles his boat up to about 1500 RPM when he fills his system and he claims it helps.