Hybrid View

Default Boat Sound System Tips Ideas

Since we're all bored and I'm about ready to start my stereo mini upgrade I thought I'd throw everything I have out on the table and see if there are some good ideas or something I'm missing. Maybe somebody can benefit from the advice. (BTW, I'm not blowing anybody off the water and this is a truly "budget" system. I have a bunch of kids and surf a lot. My regular river is pretty narrow and has mostly high banks. There are some houses along the shore. The sound funnels back to the rider pretty well. I went with "surf" speakers because I surf more than anything and don't want to be too loud. I don't play the in boat speakers very loud either but want to be able to turn up the tower)

About all I was going to do is pull some new speaker wire (12 gauge) through the tower and add a second pair of Exile SXT65's and the equalizer for better zone control. But I thought maybe it would be good to review the whole thing and see if I should change anything or do any obvious upgrade.

Here's the list of what I have:
    stock Kenwookd KDX MP2035 head unit
    6 stock in-boat Kicker 6.5
    1 stock Kicker ZX200.4
    1 Pioneer 10" (I think it's a single voice coil 4 ohm) subwoofer
    1 stock Kicker ZX250.2
    4 Exile SXT65 tower speakers
    1 Exile X600.2 amp
    KMA4200 marine audio equalizer

I'm pretty sure this HU has only one set of preamp outs. The plan is to locate the KMA4200 at the helm and run from the preamp outs on the HU to its input then back to the amps for in-boats, tower and subw.

The 200.4 runs the inboats with the rear 4 speakers in parallel.
    The 250.2 in bridged mode runs the subwoofer.
    The 600.2 would run the 4 tower speakers in parallel.

Anything anybody wants to throw out there for setup, tuning, etc. please do so. Thanks!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

kids=lots of conversation.

best idea is to box it all up and send it to me
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Stuff's not good enough for a supra.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

never said I was going to use it in my boat did I??

I think it looks like a great system. I would replace the in-boat speakers at some point, as I don't think the factory speakers are kickers best setup, but otherwise, I'd rock it... well thought out for the uses you need and didn't break the bank
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks.

I guess one question I don't know if I know the answer to is this: You run the in boat speakers on high pass. The subw on low pass. What about the tower speakers? I would think HP as well but not quite sure. I think this is where you have to set the x-over point, right?
    Last edited by kaneboats; 02-01-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yes, towers on high-pass.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I would think HP as well but not quite sure. I think this is where you have to set the xover point, right?
    Good question and I've wondered the same. My inboats I think being near the sub sound better on with HP filter. Did a little experimenting on mine and decided that I didn't like the HP filter on the towers. They sounded a little more "warm" without it. After I get my new Krypt EQ installed with the separate volume controls I'll have to play with it again and see what sounds best.

If you ever get the chance, I'd say stand back behind the boat at about surf distance and listen to it both ways. Then maybe listen to it up close - what sounds best to you? As long as you're not blasting it, which doesn't sound like the case, you're probably not going to damage anything being a little more bassy up there.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...