Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default sprinkler valve?

What is the purpose if the sprinkler valve? Is it just to prevent passive filling and empting of the bag (s)? I have a Outback (G1) and thinking of just ripping out the factory sprinkler valve in favor of.... a vented loop? Am I on the right track here? Whats the best way to convert the strainer to 3/4 inch if I just rip out the valve all together?
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

In theory the sprinkler valve prevents passive filling and gives the driver control of when to fill from the helm. There are lots of guys who have gone over to vented loops. Look for samples at wakemakers.com. You can call those guys and they will tell you exactly what you need for your model/upgrade/whatever.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

While Im all about supporting wakemakers, can I get a vented loop anywhere? Can I make my own? I wanna get this done by this weekend... would it be as simple as creating a pipe fitting that just had a hole at the top of an arch?

Quote Originally Posted by usaski1 View Post
    While Im all about supporting wakemakers, can I get a vented loop anywhere? Can I make my own? I wanna get this done by this weekend... would it be as simple as creating a pipe fitting that just had a hole at the top of an arch?
    you could but it would pee water out as it fills.. if you dont mind all the extra water in your boat you could just loop the hose and poke a hole in it at the top of the loop... the whole idea is to be able to break the siphon so your bags dont empty

you may try a local boating shop as they could have one..
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 02-01-2012 at 02:24 PM.

While Im mucking around with my ballast system.. do I need that strainer? I think many have removed their strainers... And it comes after the rule pump, so I guess its not protecting the pump, just keeping junk from the solonoid, which Im going to remove, so dont need, right?

That's the first thing I got rid of to make room for my larger, 2 inlet manifold. You have to assume that if you are filling the boat is in fairly deep water, right? A little dirt doesn't hurt anything and the strainer probably restricts the flow and wastes precious time on the water.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Although on your Outback it doesn't apply, the sprinkler valves are so one has the option of filling more than one bag independently of another off of a single pump.

West Marine sells the vented loops, they are a bit pricey.

My Outback did not come with a ballast pump strainer, so I think they are not really necessary, unless the water is junky.

Also, the vented loop is so the bag won't fill and drain by itself, which can be accomplished with a valve almost as easily, maybe more easily on a Outback. It will just have to be flipped open to fill and then closed once the bag is filled. The vented loops need to be mounted as high as they can go, at least higher than the top of the bag, and Outbacks are obviously not very deep to being with, so that may be a challenge?

so how exactly does the vented loop work??
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

rdlangston13
    so how exactly does the vented loop work??

Well... A vented loop works by preventing siphoning and pressure. Your ballast bag fills or empties automaticaly by a pressure vaccume difference. By placing a air vent in the line, the pressure can't build, and the bag wont fill or empty on its own. This loop has to be abve the water line for pressure differences to work. Therein lies the problem with an Outback with a bag on the floor. I'm not sure I can get the Vented Loop above the 750 bag in the back. I could run a load of tubing up to the front bow area, and put it under one of the seats, but then Im going to have issues with hose length and pump effecency.