Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

wont forward momentum of the boat create a pressure difference and move water passed the vented loop much like the priming procedure? i would think this would cause unwanted fill while underway
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

As far as filling while underway, from what I have read, it is the combination of pressure of the water, and the vaccum that fills the bag (someone step in here, im getting over my head!) the water pressure alone isn't great enough to get into the bag. None the less, I think I'm scrappin the vented loop, because of how difficult it 's going to be to get the loop above the bag. so I think Im just going to have a manual valve that flip when I need to fill the bag. I'd love to re-run the tubing up to the drivers seat, but I think I won't due to pump efficiency issues.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

from wakemakers....

Whether you’re designing a new ballast system, or trying to upgrade your existing system to fill and drain faster, one common question is how best to design the system so it is as uncomplicated (and also inexpensive) as possible. One of the tools that we use when helping people design a custom ballast system is a product called a vented loop.

As shown above, a vented loop is a “U” shaped plastic fitting that is installed in series with the fill pump when using aerator pumps. During filling, the vented loop is invisible, functioning as a section of hose without any limitations. The beauty of the vented loop only comes into play when the the fill pump is turned off, which means there are no drawbacks to implementing its use. When water is not being forced through the fill hose, air (but not water) is allowed to pass through a vent at the top of the loop, which allows the column of water from the vented loop to the fill pump to drain down to the level of the pump.

It is this column of air (typically at least two feet long) that prevents water from siphoning into, or out of the ballast bag when the pump is not running. Many people are under the impression that water is forced past the fill pump due to the boat running at speed, but it’s not possible to develop that much pressure, and it actually just the siphoning process that allows the bag to fill or drain. The vented loop solves that problem by creating a break in the column of water running from the pump to the bag, so siphoning is not possible.

To function correctly, the vented loop needs to be installed close to the ballast bag in question, and as high above the water line as possible. For forward ballast bags, the typical installation location is under the driver’s dash up near the windshield.

I debated on this but put in vented loops on all 3 bags in my upgrade. Newty helped me figure out placement to get them as high as possible above the bags. That ended up being at the front of the rear compartment up as high as possible in the gunnel that runs across side to side. Mine are about level with the top/vent of the loop right at the same height as the top of the bag. One for my front/basement sac is mounted up under the helm. After a full season (last summer) I haven't had any siphoning effect problems at all. I take that back - once I did but unscrewed the top vent of that side's loop, cleaned the duck bill valve, reassembled and problem was gone within minutes. I guess that is a testimonial on them doing exactly what they're designed for. No issues with filling underway either.

I have about a 2-3ft run of hose from the fill pump to the vented loop, then another 4-5 feet from the loop to the fill port on the bag.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

You can also use an inline check valve. It will keep the bag from draining but won't do much about auto-filling. But, if you have the mushroom type intakes I understand that the auto filling is not a real issue. It's only the strainer one that catches water and forces it up into the pump that causes the problem.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

so i could add two thru hulls, two more aerator pumps, vented loops, and increase my fill times and eliminate the sprinkler valves? when have the vented loops do you still need to prime by being underway?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

so i could add two thru hulls, two more aerator pumps, vented loops, and increase my fill times and eliminate the sprinkler valves? when have the vented loops do you still need to prime by being underway?
    David

when have the vented loops do you still need to prime by being underway?
    Not as long as the aerator pumps are mounted low enough inside that they are under the water line (which is pretty easy to accomplish). Not sure if that scoop type pickup has any effect or not - I don't have one so couldn't say.

Well, got pretty far in my project today. (thats what weekends are good for!) Installed my manual valve at the bag. Then cut out the strainer and solonoid in the motor compartment. Then ran into a small snag. The output of the pump is 1 inch ID it looks like, where it goes into the strainer, and then exits the strainer to 3/4 inch. So now I have to go back to Home Depot to see if I can find a conversion coupling from 1 inch to 3/4 inch. knowing now the output is 1 inch, I could just repace all tubing with 1 inch, but it gets converted to 3/4 right at the bag, so no real gain there. Im assuming their are 3/4 inch Inside diamater, to 1 inch inside diamater couplings for black tubing?