Default To winterize or not?

I have an 07 Moomba Outback Direct Drive... im in South Central GA and we have had a very mild winter.. I actually took my boat out a few weeks ago and ran it.. My question is we have some 20 degree nights up ahead.. what steps should I take if any to protect my engine from freezing? it is stored indoors but not climate controlled.. Thanks BK

Quote Originally Posted by benjoktm95 View Post
    I have an 07 Moomba Outback Direct Drive...what steps should I take if any to protect my engine from freezing?
    BK - Given the simplicity of servicing an Outback, I recommend you drain the block, exhaust manifolds, and seawater pump. These are quick, easy steps to prevent engine damage in the unlikely event of a prolonged freeze. I say better to be safe than sorry. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Better safe than sorry, that cracked block will be a huge bill if it's not taken care of now. Peace of mind alone I would say its worth it, just my .02
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    BK - Given the simplicity of servicing an Outback, I recommend you drain the block, exhaust manifolds, and seawater pump. These are quick, easy steps to prevent engine damage in the unlikely event of a prolonged freeze. I say better to be safe than sorry. - Deerfield
    what Stu said ^^^^^^^^
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

What is the temp indoors? In an attached garage you will probably be fine but can throw a trouble light down by the engine to be safe. If it's a standalone storage building, garage or shed you better drain like they say above. I put a thermometer and a bowl of water in my garage on the coldest nights. My temp never got below 40 so I quit worrying about it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

In MT I drain and then flush with anti-freeze just to be sure. But it's not uncommon to have 3months straight of freezing and sub-zero temps. In your climate, I would agree with what has been advised and just drain everything for piece of mind and it'll take you less than 20min. to do it.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thanks... I went and drained the two plugs on each side and the exhaust manifolds there was a lot of water in there... First inboard so this was new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by benjoktm95 View Post
    I went and drained the two plugs on each side and the exhaust manifolds...
    Good man. Now, plan ahead for some routine/preventative maintenance. Order an impeller for the raw water pump. Keep the used one in the glove box as backup and install the new one come spring. Fins that have separated from a broken down impeller will wreak havoc on an engine's cooling system. Also, schedule time to change the oil and filter. These three items, like draining the engine and manifolds, are easy on the Outback with its engine smack in the middle of the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

i agree that if it is detached garage you should drain it for peace of mind.

I've spoken with a dealer in WI before and they said below freezing temps for less than 24 hours won't do any damage. So even though it gets down to 20 at night, so-long-as it is in the 40's during the day you shouldn't have any problems...I can't wait to start storing mine in my garage next year
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)