Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    GAS - I don't need no stinking GAS.
    Diesel is below $4/gal so I'm happy Oh wait............boat take premium. I'll check in MAY!!
    Ditto on that
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

premium? ive never used premium in my boat...
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

89 is all you need. 91/92/93 is a waste of money.

many many many studies done on using premium in cars/boats/mc's that do not require it and you are wasting money. premium is only for high compression or force fed motors in most cases..

you can actually do more harm than good by burning higher octane than what the engine was designed for. it doesn't burn clean.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

In my neck of the woods, we have 3 choices. 87 which i wont run in my boat. 91 Non Ethanol which is what i run. #2 Diesel for the rig.

If im not in my little town when i buy fuel for the boat its always 89 as thats what it says to put in it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

never used anything other than 87. never had a detonation issues that i know of. runs like a champ
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Most ecus can retard timing enough to make up for lower octane gas. Mightbe leaving a few hp on the table tho..

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    In my neck of the woods, we have 3 choices. 87 which i wont run in my boat. 91 Non Ethanol which is what i run. #2 Diesel for the rig.

If im not in my little town when i buy fuel for the boat its always 89 as thats what it says to put in it.
    Ditto on that!!

Just one thing to add. Have had issues on 2 separate vehicle running 87 with ethanol and the engine light coming on. Put some good premium fuel in and takes care of the issue (DTC) warning.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    89 is all you need. 91/92/93 is a waste of money.

many many many studies done on using premium in cars/boats/mc's that do not require it and you are wasting money. premium is only for high compression or force fed motors in most cases..

you can actually do more harm than good by burning higher octane than what the engine was designed for. it doesn't burn clean.
    Ditto-

My second vehicle is supercharged. If you use regular and stomp on it…good luck. I use stabil ethanol treatment and will top off a 3/4 tank in the boat with 93. Otherwise, regular it is.

Quote Originally Posted by matt75 View Post
    Ditto-

My second vehicle is supercharged. If you use regular and stomp on it…good luck. I use stabil ethanol treatment and will top off a 3/4 tank in the boat with 93. Otherwise, regular it is.
    matt, key word there is supercharged, your combustion chamber pressures are much higher than that of a NA engine. maybe next fill up I will use premium in the ole moomba and see if there is a diff
    David

rd, if you are using the recommended 89, you will not see any difference in the performance of the boat. seen enough sites that show it will have no noticeable benefits in the performance, especially since you're only source of data is "seat of the pants".

now internals are another story..

there's tons of websites out there that have facts stating both ways; that using higher octane fuels is ok and that using higher octane fuels can be bad for the internals in the long run.

I have no personal experience one way or the other, but I'll chose to save the coin and use what the manufacturer recommends. there's a reason they spec 89 octane for the boat and not 87 or 92/93.