View Poll Results: Where do you hook your surf rope?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • V-drive Tower

31 70.45%
  • V-drive Pylon

5 11.36%
  • D-Drive Tower

7 15.91%
  • D-Drive Pylon

0 0%
  • Around the ankle of the guy that doesn't bring beer money

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where do you hoook your surf rope?

Reading Sled's thoughts on adding a tower to his boat got me thinking. I've always hooked my surf ropes to my ski pylon (v-drive) yet I see surf pics and videos of ropes hooked to the tower all the time.

If I hooked mine to the tower you'd be popping up right behind the boat, like way up right behind the boat, and I've got 25ft ropes. Throwing the rope back for a save when you lose the pocket - forget it.

Where does everyone else hook theirs?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Reading Sled's thoughts on adding a tower to his boat got me thinking. I've always hooked my surf ropes to my ski pylon (v-drive) yet I see surf pics and videos of ropes hooked to the tower all the time.

If I hooked mine to the tower you'd be popping up right behind the boat, like way up right behind the boat, and I've got 25ft ropes. Throwing the rope back for a save when you lose the pocket - forget it.

Where does everyone else hook theirs?
    So are you using the full length 25ft rope then to get up? I guess I am a bit confused. On my buddy's boat, we always pop up right behind the boat. We actually use a wakeboard rope and use a fancy little trick to make it wrap it around the top of the tower when it connects. It essentially creates a loop, but we are always guessing on the length... Maybe around 10-15 ft?
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

doh!

Make that 16ft from pylon loop to handle, but only have to pull forward about 2-3ft to be in the pocket behind mine. I have a Proline T-handle and a homemade braided one the same length as the Proline. Don't know why I had 25 stuck in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    doh!

Make that 16ft from pylon loop to handle, but only have to pull forward about 2-3ft to be in the pocket behind mine. I have a Proline T-handle and a homemade braided one the same length as the Proline. Don't know why I had 25 stuck in my head...
    I hook to the tower and only have to pull in about 2 feet with a 20 foot rope

Have you tried to tie it on the side of the tower? This seems to help with beginers because the rope wont pull them to the center. You obviously have to move it to the other side if someone surfs goofy.
    04 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_8099 View Post
    We actually use a wakeboard rope and use a fancy little trick to make it wrap it around the top of the tower when it connects. It essentially creates a loop, but we are always guessing on the length... Maybe around 10-15 ft?
    I'd not recommend doing that. stories of guys getting the handle caught in their arms as they fall and dragged along by the boat. reason that the only "surf" ropes you see are knotted balls/t-handles/small handles your arm will barely fit.
    just my .02....

we use the tower in the center. pop up behind the boat. would love to have an adapter to bolt to the side of the tower for training noobs, but not sure about the load weight on the tower. having it in the center distributes the load as designed, placing on one side puts all the load on one bearing point..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Usually around the ankle of the guy that doesn't bring beer money. That wasn't on the list. Berg can you change the list?

PWI as usual...

Done- makes perfect sense.

Looks like I'm in the minority here. I'm wondering if that has something to do with my tower not being swept back as far as others so the tow point is further forward....

Good point, on the shopping list for this season!

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I'd not recommend doing that. stories of guys getting the handle caught in their arms as they fall and dragged along by the boat. reason that the only "surf" ropes you see are knotted balls/t-handles/small handles your arm will barely fit.
    just my .02....

we use the tower in the center. pop up behind the boat. would love to have an adapter to bolt to the side of the tower for training noobs, but not sure about the load weight on the tower. having it in the center distributes the load as designed, placing on one side puts all the load on one bearing point..
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

Thanks Berg.

I like to leave it long as well. It helps people get comfortable in the pocket and if they fall too far back they can pull themself back in. Until people can stay up with with slack for more than a minute I make them hold the handle. I also tell them to only to hold onto the handle and not the rope it makes them have to work to stay in the pocket. This tends to break people from relying on the rope to keep them in the pocket. Really shortens the rearing curve.

PWI as usual...