Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Got a pair of XM9's, now its time to paint 'em!

I ordered a pair of XM9's from Brian and they arrived last week. As always I am very impressed, they look to be a very nice speaker, and the Quick Release Clamps are KILLER!

At any rate, I have decided that I want to paint them to match my boat, since I don't really have any black on the boat I thought that the standard black can's would look goofy. Plus, I'm all about matching and all that jazz.

So, I started with a fresh shiney pair of Exile XM9's, with Chrome grilles;

Popped the grille off;

Removed the back Exile name plate and found this nifty switch (Note: The switch comes in the 1ohm position, I just played with it before taking this picture)

And for fun, I figured I'd check out the inside of the can;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Outback V

To my surprise, the speaker basket is actually a solid piece with the black trim ring around the outside of the speaker. The options here were to either leave that part black, or tape off the speaker and paint around it. I decided that I wanted to take the 'hard way' to make it look better - this way it will be Brittany Blue against chrome, no black.

To start, I used the grille to trace out the size needed to cover the speaker;

Then I cut out the cardboard and placed it over the speaker;

And went nuts with the blue tape, all the way around, and then through the center, securing the cardboard on the inside edge and also through where the chrome grille mounting tabs connect;

Then I trimmed up the tape and called it good;
    2013 Outback V

I used a coat hanger through the quick release mount hole to provide a way for the painter to handle the speakers without touching the taped off cone area. I'd imagine this will be easier for them, and also give a bit more protection.

Here I taped up the mounting brackets. I put tape on the hanger just to keep any paint flakes from falling off the hanger onto wet paint;

To avoid any damage or gunking up to that mysterious switch, I also taped over it. I am going to leave the Exile nameplates black with silver, I think that will look cool and add a nice contrast.

Ready to go off to the painter!

Regarding the paint; I took the advice from other forum members and an old post I found on this board and decided to contact Boatmate about paint - since our boats aren't painted, but are Gel Coat I figured Boatmate would be the best bet for a perfect (or close to it) color match. I emailed Jerry and he responded with the following information almost immediately;

"The paint is DuPont Centari 5000 and the code for Brittany blue is 759023. You can use that code to obtain paint through your local DuPont retailer."

So, now I have to find a painter and get these babies sprayed! Hopefully can get that step done this week.
    2013 Outback V

post up how the paint was to locate. guy at the auto body shop here told me that paint is uber expensive since it requires a bunch of other materials to make it adhere properly. they were recommending that I try to colormatch it close with a less-expensive brand and something that doesn't require the extras for doing some touchup on the trailer...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

good start and keep this updated when needed.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Post a pic of those drivers out of the can. Front and rear I am sure it will turn out great, not sure I would have the balls to paint em. Good luck.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I don't think I got a pic of them out of the can. Found a painter and am dropping them off in the morning. I'm going to give him the paint code and let him figure out what's best for the injection molded plastic.
    2013 Outback V

can't wait to see the final product...you taking it apart and taping it off prolly saved you a nice chunk of change!
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

I just didn't want to risk someone else damaging 'em, lol

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    2013 Outback V

Ian - you have way to much time on your hands! That switch on the back smooths the horn response of the HLCD. You can experiment and see what you like.

I've probably got a guts shot of the woofer somewhere I'lll post for JMV.

Always fun to see how these turn out. We just had a guy do some Atomic orange. wow! crazy... stuff

-Brian
    Exile Audio