Thread: Carb problems

Default Carb problems

I have a 99 Outback Kanga and every time I get on it there is a hesitation. Sometimes bad enough where I have to back off of the throttle. It did this just after sitting and chillin in the water for a while, I would check the temp to make sure the engine was still warm. I've already had to replace a fuel pump because of this , and filter, so I had a friend who is a "wiz" with carbs try and tinker with them and now it won't barely get up to 20. To get there you have to really ease the throttle. I tried to put back everything the way it was because it wasn't near as bad. I had someone give it throttle while I watched what the carbs were doing and I noticed that the back flap on the 4BBL never opens. So I manually controlled the back flap while he gave it throttle and it seemed to do well. I'm Carb stupid and would appreciate any input. Also I've been trying to find a site where I can get a rebuild kit and can't seem to find anything for Indmar.

Default Replying to Topic 'Carb problems'

Have you tried Discount Inboard Marine. They have a rebuild kit.

By your description, it sounds like the engine might be starving for air. I assume on the carb engines their is an automatic choke. This may not be opening properly as the engine warms up. A sticking choke is a lot easier and cheaper to fix than overhauling your carb. Had this problem on my motorcycle with a manual choke. Once it was adjusted the engine ran fine.

Da Man
    If it stutters while giving it the throttle I would suspect an accellerator pump.With the engine off , pump the throttle to see if you get a stream of fuel spraying into the throat of the carb.Also check the choke is fully open like Rob suggested.No offense but if you are carb stupid,I don't think your first rebuild should be a 4 barrel.
    John

I checked to see if it was getting gas with the engine off and it pumps to good streams into the front of the carbs. I think it might be the electric choke like Rob says. What it the common approach for fixing this? Do most people just replace the choke or do they rebuild it?

I went out and hooked a water line up and warmed up the engine to see if I could tell if the choke was opening and I really didn't see it do anything. I did notice that there was a red plastic piece on the back side of the choke that had a metal tab below it that seemed to be connected to the shaft that goes through the carb to the other side connected to the linkage. It was bent and the plastic peice didn't seem to have any way of pushing or connecting to the metal tab. I don't know if it's suppose to but was wondering if that plastic piece might have had a piece broke off of it. Remember carb stupid!! I can post pics if it helps.

Thanks Jeff I'll give that a try soon as the weather clears up a little.

Well I checked out the accelerator pump and its putting out two good streams of gas. I adjusted the screw that was on top of the pump out some and now it accelerates all the way to W.O.T. The only problem I have now is when coming out of the hole you have to ease the throttle up or it will bog down. Once you get out of the hole you can hammer on it and it does fine. Tried adjusting the screw on the sides but they didn't seem to effect anything but the idle. Not sure what to do now cause I spent about 3 hours trying adjustments to get that lag out but to no success. Think I'm just gonna have someone look at it unless anybody has an idea. Later