Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSV Slalom Wake

Default LSV Slalom Wake

I know there are a few guys who pull open water slalom sets behind their LSV. If anyone has video of a set or their wake at slalom speed, I would appreciate it if you could post it up. Thinking 07-10 LSV hull. Still leaning toward the OBV, but would love the extra space of the LSV. Reasonable slalom wake (no course-running) is a must for us. I know I just need to test drive both, but may just eliminate the LSV prior to driving.

Thanks for posting any videos you may have!

Come on guys, I know there are some open-water skiers out there with LSVs. Nobody have video of their wake?

I have never seen them, but I have a hard time believing that a V-hull has a reasonable wake for slalom, except maybe at open slalom speed - 36mph. I have a 99 Mobius DD which is basically an OB. Love the boat and the wake is good at/over 30. But beware of the 22 off bump. I recently starting running the course at 22 off behind a different boat. Then went back to open water on my boat at 22 off. I now remember why I ski 28 off in open water. The 22 off bump behind my boat is really bad at 34 mph - way worse than any wake issues.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Have you ever thought about getting the ls. I got mine because I wanted a good crossover boat with room. It's lived up to everything I wanted.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.989168,-110.722627
    2010 möbius ls "you ain't fallin you ain't learning"

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    I have never seen them, but I have a hard time believing that a V-hull has a reasonable wake for slalom, except maybe at open slalom speed - 36mph.
    my lsv has a pretty flat hull from about mid ship on back
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

your handle and post imply that skiing is quite important to you- I certainly would not want any wake bigger than my OBV, and in fact I'm in the process of finding a different solution for my skiing needs. I've had guys with really good technique run the course behind my boat, and I think my boat is fun to ski behind in open water at faster speeds. I will say though there are some direct drives just as good/bad as my OBV- an early 2000s malibu (?sunsetter) that I skied behind comes to mind so ski it before you buy it. These are wake shots of my OBV- LSV will be bigger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I think there are a lot of characteristics to a wake besides its size. What do we mean by size anyhow? Are we talking height above the lake surface? or height to the bottom of the outside troughs? Or height to the inside trough? Or width from wake-to-wake? or the width from the the outside of first trough to the outside of the second? We have taken a lot of video and I have watched a lot of instructional video. I think the depth of the outside trough on the second wake is a key contributor to nasty out-the-front crashes. It is here where most of us struggle with the transition to the inside edge and are most vulnerable to minor fluctuations in support under the ski.
    The really great skiers can deal with all of it or so it seems.
    I have seen video of friends who I consider pretty good, in what appears to be a good run, but when you slow it down their ski is at 30-45 degrees off the center bump.
    No answers - more questions.
    Best advice is to ski it if you can.
    skiyaker - what boat speed are your photos? Looks like 15 off?

One thing I did notice is that with the pylon further back in the boat it looks like the 22 bump may actually be at 28 off?? So if you never plan to go short might not be such a big issue.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

All good thoughts- Dave- might I add that the worst thing about the V Drive wake is that it is rock freaking hard. When I was working through my ankle issues I just couldn't deal with it. And you're correct about the trough too- that's a major problem- it's one of those things I'm only a fall or two away from being a surfer so when I'm behind my boat I just take it easy and have fun.

Speed 32 mph; first pic is 15 off;second and third are 22 off. You're correct about the pylon placement- 22 off is a lot better than 15 off; haven't tried 28 off yet- not sure why just haven't.
    Last edited by skiyaker; 01-12-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Thanks for the thoughts Benson and Skiyaker. Agree with ski it before you buy it, and will have to do that, just want some general thoughts. I know the LSV is primarily a wake boat, but need to balance a lot of things, ski, wake for kids, space, comfort, etc. Thanks for the input and if anyone has video that would be great to see.

I have on 07 LS direct drive. I am strictly a slalom skier. I ski mine in our clubs course on a regular basis. It is not a Response or Natique, but it does a fine job. When in the course I only allow no more than three people in the boat and I take all the extra toys (hydrofoil, kneeboard, etc) out and set them on our club's dock, and then I adjust the wakeplate down so the rear of the boat is up. This results in a very course-skiable wake. I would say the biggest difference between it and something like an Outback DD or Response is the wake is a little bit stiffer on mine. But this is a good compromise. I go to Lake Powell and Lake Mead 3 -4 times a year. In a pure ski boat I would be swamping the thing when in the open channel at Powell. But with slightly higher sidewalls on my LS and more of a V in front, I do ok in the really rough stuff.

Garn
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)