Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

here's a thought. take the acc. switch on the other side of the dash and make it the off/on switch then replace the key with a nice red pushbutton. maybe something like the factory start switch on a bmw 1series. if you are deadset on wanting them together, then order a factory acc switch for a factory look. that switch doesn't really seem to do much in the boat anyway.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thats a good idea sandm! Only problem is it is wired to all my LEDs right now.

Ian, thanks!! So it sounds like to use the button for start and stop, it turns it into a $250 project opposed to a $50 project.

I like this mod at $50 but I'm not sure I like it at $250, at least not this year. The process of killing the engine by switch might be too much to explain to others. It also might just be too much to deal with when riding and repeatedly turning the boat off an on. Something to think about, though, now that I understand the logistics.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Wait a second ...... Thinking outloud ....

What if the button (in place of the ignition) is not a momentary? What if it was latching? What if the starter was connected to a Momentary that was located under the helm? Preferably in the kick panel so it could be pushed with your foot? This would be a button you push in and it automatically pops back out. Would there be issues engaging the starter without the fuel pump? Would/could you have to hold down the ignition button so maybe a different type of switch?

The daily process to start: hold the button down with your foot and push the ignition button. To stop: push the ignition button.

Is that brilliant or plain retarded? The idea comes from my wifes car. I can push the button in the igintion spot all day long to turn all the accesories on/off. I cannot start the car unless my foot is on the brake. I know there is alot more going on in her car but could you replicate that process with switches only, no module? That would also solve the kid issue, right?

I get a little confused when thinking out how some of the switches work so the help is appreciated!
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 01-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Is that brilliant or plain retarded?
    I'm not going to answer that, but . . .

car-show-hand-crank.jpg

Sorry, it wouldn't let me edit ....

AFTERTHOUGHT: I'm not trying to just flip/flop what the switches do as in turn the boat on at ignition, push button in kick panel to start, push button at ignition to turn off. I was hoping more for the boat will not start unless you have your foot on a button (starter) elsewhere, hopefully solving the module part and keeping a cheap simple button?

Once again, just thinking outloud. Thanks guys.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

That is the point I was trying to make. In that diagram, nothing gets past the circle on the starter wire unless the button is pushed in.

Does that over simplify what is happening? Does it have potential to damage the starter or the fuel pump?
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Not if your power wire is switched with the fuel pump and the other items energized by the keyswitch. This really is a very simple mod. You would have to have a switch somewhere.

PWI as usual...

For those worried about someone accidentally starting, wouldn't an easy safeguard be to just pull the lanyard when parked?

Disclaimer: I don't have kids so maybe I'm trying to simplify too much....
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

You know, a three position key switch might work just as well.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Hey Kyle. I will also be doing this mod in a few months to, but I dont have kids to worry about. There should be a easy and cheap way to do this, I just haven't looked into it deep enough yet. Last time I for got my keys sitting at the ramp. Ha ha..not funny!! I went back to the auto shop, bought a 4-wire ignition starter w/key ($6) for a old mustang and installed it in 5 mins. So you are correct. A 8th grader can start one of these boats in 2-mins.
    89' Comp Resto:
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=8193

Riding and Mod pic's:
    http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=86

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-PPI Amps 1750 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub