Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Push Button Start

Curious if anyone ended up doing this? Here are a couple archive threads I read.

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/archiv...hp/t-6694.html

https://forum.moomba.com/archive/index.php/t-10697.html

I am not mechanical inclined by any means but it seems like it would be a fairly simple mod.

I imagine myself wanting to keep it as simple as possible ... Have a toggle switch that is on/off (likely hidden under the dash) and use the push button to start/stop. My plan would be to replace the OEM ignition switch with a push button ...

http://www.autoloc.com/products/buttonbuilder/
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I considered doing this, but never got around to it. I love the look of the Autoloc buttons. If I were to do it, I would buy the module that allows the push button to start and stop the engine, as it seems stupid to me to have a button to start, but still have to flick a switch for 'on' and 'off' every time. In a car this might be OK, but with a boat that you are constantly starting and stopping it just would become cumbersome.
    2013 Outback V

With the way you want to do it, an even easier way might be to keep the key to turn on the fuel pump and turn the engine off, and just move the 'start' wire to its own push button, which would allow you to retain the "security" of the key, and still add the button.
    2013 Outback V

I want to get rid of the key and replace it with the push button, partially for look purposes. Also, starting last season, I don't pull the key out of the ignition. I actually took the floaty off. I felt the convenience of never worrying about a key outweighed the threat of theft.

Here is an ignition control module that I believe would do the trick. It works the same way as my wife's car. 1 push gets you to run then holding starts the car.

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Push-...-with-TruTouch

However, at $250, I'd rather buy the $40 button and a $10 switch for on/off.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Thats exactly the one I looked at too!

I also leave the key in my boat all the time. Being on an inland lake, in a marina with lights and security cameras, I'm confident that if someone steals my boat they won't get far, and I have insurance, lol.

The key in our boats is just a vanity thing, it is quite possibly the easiest thing in the world to "hot wire" with 2 pieces of wire, paperclips, anything really.
    2013 Outback V

I felt the convenience of never worrying about a key outweighed the threat of theft.
    You'll only forget the key once, then you'll have 2-3 spares wired up in hidden places on board like I do.

The key in our boats is just a vanity thing, it is quite possibly the easiest thing in the world to "hot wire" with 2 pieces of wire, paperclips, anything really.
    True true. My 8yr old could probably hot wire it!

I actually worry more about dropping my car keys (+home +work +everything) in the drink than losing the boat keys.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I keep plenty of them hidden on the cars/trucks too.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Kraig - 2010 Outback V

tend to agree about keys in boats. mine has never left the ignition switch. no one is going to steal it and just drive all over the lake, and unlike a car, you don't need the key in to do anything other than start the boat. I keep the spare in the truck glovebox as I have left it at home once and that was a 1.5hr loss of valuable surfing time going back to retrieve it..
    the wiring is real simple. an on/off switch and pushbutton to start would replace it.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I recall this from last spring and the thought was in my mind then and it's still there lingering. I have mixed feelings on this idea. I too don't remove my keys and I actually panic a little when the boat crew is cleaning at the end of the day and they put it in the glove box lol I am paranoid I will loose it. I also think it would take a 8 year old about 5 minute to hot wire the boat.

My main concern still would be with kids always watching it would take them about 5 secs to start the boat and cause issues. I really want a push button system but I would rather it be like the cars where you have a proximity key befor the ignition button activates.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]