Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battery Relocation

As I have my boat half a part here during this ever so long MN winter.... I'm putting the finishing touches on the stereo makeover I've done the last two months, I'm getting an itch to relocate my battery to a more useful location. ie: a rear locker! Has anyone out there in Moomba world done this? I did a little searching on the threads and didn't see anything so I thought I'd pose the question to the ever so knowledgeable clan de moomba. Also real reason I'm wanting to do it is cause I'm more than likely going to add a second battery with a VSR running all the goodies off the second non engine battery! Thoughts anyone???
    CBAarestad

2004 Mobius LSV

I have a kind of interesting view on this. A Lot of Tige owners are looking to move their batteries FROM the very spot you want to move yours to, in order to make room for custom surf sacs. So why do you want to move yours? i will say though, that adding a house/stereo bank (extra battery) with an ACR/VSR, will have little to do with the location of the original main/starting battery. Example: i did a stereo bank in an 05 Tige 22V. We left the two original batteries with multi-battery switch as they were in the rear port locker/transom area and added two group 27's in parallel in the starboard mid-ship storage locker dedicated to the stereo. These banks are combined with an ACR and also have an on-board charger for maintenance. You need to account for the length of cable and load it will carry, but yo do not need to move the original batteries just because you are adding a 2nd bank.

By keeping the battery(s) where they are you will greatly lessen voltage drop to your amplifiers. Also having batteries in the rear lockers can pose a problem if your running ballast sacs. Why would the rear lockers be a more usefull location? You can do it all just as easy up front.

panel1.jpg
    2007 Mobius LSV

well I installed a custom fit sub in my port locker and I really think If I put an additional battery in there it would take up all the space I have left up there. I run a 750 left rear, a 400 right rear so if I did move it I would look at the back right. I always have everyone sitting on the port side. I dont know, just a thought I figured i'd voice. I figured it I have all the storage I'd ever want if I moved it.
    CBAarestad

2004 Mobius LSV

well heres a different maybe partally dumb idea, has anyone stuck one under the port seats say next to the built in cooler? Using a yellow top sealed battery of course
    CBAarestad

2004 Mobius LSV

I have seen a couple on other brands. You would just have to check the depth when the optima is flipped on its side. I would suggest under the spotters seat. I have the obv 07 . I pushed mine up against. the bow seats to create room. I had two with a vsr. Not alot of room up there.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Two things to think about is 1) the batteries need to be isolated from any potential gas fumes since there is a potential spark source 2) the batteries need to be ventilated as they generate hydrogen gas. So the batteries need to be isolated from the engine compartment and be ventilated.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I've tried several ideas to get the batteries where you want and none have panned out very well. Your best option is forward of the dash under the bow seating. Lift the bow seats and there a section half covered by fiberglass. Unless your sub is there this makes a lot of sence. If that doesn't work I'd Contact Newty by PM he moved his battered forward if the drivers side hump.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Two things to think about is 1) the batteries need to be isolated from any potential gas fumes since there is a potential spark source 2) the batteries need to be ventilated as they generate hydrogen gas. So the batteries need to be isolated from the engine compartment and be ventilated.
    devils advocate as I've seen towboats with batteries in the engine compartment before. what's the difference in a boat engine compartment with a blower running and your car's engine compartment? I know that cars are "open" from the bottom, but in my last eclipse, there was so much plastic under the front of that compartment to divert air under the car it might as well have been sealed and had the battery a couple of feet from the exhaust manifold/turbo which when pushing the car hard, glow bright red from the heat.

I do agree with mmandley on the locations. I wouldn't place anything permanent in the compartment when using bags for ballast...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

My batteries were in the rear compartments (from the factory), one on each side, and I really hated it. Especially when it came to ballast bags laying over or bunching up on them. They were easy to get to but how often do you really need to get to your batteries?

And like Razz said it was a long run of wire up to my distro blocks and amp rack. I think I used 40-50' of 0/2 wire just for that. Last spring I gutted everything and moved the batteries up under the glovebox like everyone else has them. I too had thought of adding a second 12" sub on that side, had the box already built and ready to squeeze in but from what I've read/heard, the sub in the enclosed compartment doesn't really produce like one would hope (like one facing out under the drivers cockpit does).

I've seen the sealed optimas sitting on their side and tucked up front as well so that would be an option. I'd just be real careful that the terminals are protected from accidentally arcing from gear being pushed up against them.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...