Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Replying to Topic 'sky ski -- too cool'

Are any of you familiar with AIR CHAIR? They appear to be the original hydrofoil. Their foil and suspension system seem to be quite different from SKY SKI.
    [url=www.airchair.com]

Thanks Rob,

I'd heard of them a while back but hadn't checked recently. They don't post a price for a full model, but I've emailed them to inquire.

Apparently it's better than everyone else's. Funny, that's what SkySki said

Darren
    Stay away from the hydro flite.It is entry level at best.You won't be able to jump with it.Get at least the Pro ST or the new B-39.It is all Billet not cast.Foil-N-.com is good.I bought some stuff from him last week.Also www.cinchmax.com or www. eastcoasthydrofoils.com.Very good dealers.On another subject ,I hope the NHL gets the CBA done so we can see some hockey next year.GO LEAFS.[disregard if your not a hockey fan]Keep me updated and ask any questions if you have any.
    John

Thanks once again SPD.

I see a Sky Ski Pro for $1199 (top left here: http://eastcoasthydrofoils.com/_wsn/page2.html )

I take it the S/T designation you mentioned is for Shock Tower, and I assume that's it in the top right corner (shown without the Shock Tower for some reason). Is that correct? I'm assuming that the $1699 price tag for the S/T is everything I need to ride (except the boat), not just what's shown.

The B39 looks nice, but it's $2500 (Yikes) and is a new model that may have some kinks to work out, so I'm a bit leary of shelling out that much cash for something I can't try out beforehand.

BTW what exactly does "billet" mean? I tried the dictionary but I doubt it actually means "a piece of wood" in this context.

Alternate definition for billet:
    (1) A small, usually rectangular bar of iron or steel in an intermediate stage of manufacture.
    (2) A small ingot of nonferrous metal.

Basically, the two parts of the foil are cut-out from "bricks" of material. Manufactured parts which used to be made by connecting (bolts, weld, glue, whatever) several smaller pieces can now be created using computer-driven manufacturing tools.

American Chopper often show this process using billet discs to make rims for their bikes. Pretty cool stuff (plus the arguments between father and son are top-notch.)

Darren
    The new skis are made from billet aluminum[7075 I think?]The old skis were cast.The ST does stand for shock tower.Tim at EastCoast is a real good guy to deal with.Give him a call with any questions.Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.My family and I were out skiing on the empty lake all day.
    John

Thanks for the definitions of "billet", guys. And John, that's a tough life.

I got a response to my inquiry about the competing Air Chair. They have a "Stealth" model for $1300. It apparently has interchangeable blades to adjust from a flate-blade beginner ride to curved-blade advanced ride. This model didn't mention "billet" though. Their $2900 V38 did about 10 times, and in fact refers to a "billet cast" which they say is as strong as "True Machined Billet". They say that all aluminum is cast at some point or another (it doesn't come out of the earth in a big ingot), which is a good point.

Does anyone have any experience with the Air Chair, either model?

Darren
    I have owned a Air chair.I rode a V-38 last year.The V-38 is a good ski.The Stealth is a very twitchy ski from what I am told.I have never rode one.The V-38 and the B-39 are in competition with one another.I like Sky Ski brand.
    John

OK, I'm narrowing down my search. I'm leaning toward the SkySki brand.

This article was very helpful: http://www.foilfreaks.com/articles/acfaq/acfaq.htm

I have more research to do, but that article tends to support my feeling that the AirChair site had a strong marketing bent.

So I suspect my most likely purchase would be the Ski Ski Pro S/T. Maybe the B39 launch, but I'm not sure what the extra $700 buys me at this point.

Is the anodizing worth it? I take it that's an anti-rust scheme? Or is it just to look nice?

darren
    The B-39 has a longer strut so maybe the cost is there.Not really sure.Anordizing does add some flair to the ski.I just had mine re-ano here locally for $100.00.It is aluminum so it will not rust.From the people that ride the Pro S/T that have written about it on the Yahoo Groups they love it.The B-39 is a new model this year so there is not much written about it yet.You should really join that discussion group and see if there are any riders in your area.Most of the people will go out there way to get you on a ski.
    John