Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mobius LSV vs XLV

I am considering a Mobius LSV vs XLV. Any thoughts on the way to go? I usually go out boating with at least 3 people and up to 8 (4 to 5 is average). I currently have a 4 Winn 245 cuddy and decided I like wake boarding and surfing and some skiing better. I have test drove the LSV already and will test drive the XLV next week. My factors I am considering are price, ease of handling (teaching new people to wake board), comfort in rough water, higher in the water (free board), able to hold more people (except sometimes it is better to have fewer personalities on the boat), storage on the boat, towing, the wake to surf on. Any other thoughts? Has anyone had a LSV and gone up to an XLV?

One issue on the LSV was that water was coming into the boat so every 10 minutes, when I turned on the bilge pump, I got some water coming out (the dealer later said that he did an inspection and that a hose what not connected right). Should I be concern. If I buy the LSV, I will take it for a quick run just before I hand over the money.

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Replying to Topic 'Mobius LSV vs XLV'

Deffinately report back after the XLV demo. The regular conditions in which you describe, you may find the XLV more suitable for your needs. It was unfortunate that you had a water intake issue on the LSV demo., this is not prominent of Skiers Choice product, hopefully, the dealer will address the situation immediately. Please keep us posted. Brian Raymond

I have about 13 hours on my XLV now. The XLV is so deep I have not had so much as a drop hit me or come in the front of the boat. It has a giant wake with the 3 bags and wakeplate. And Even when you go back to pick up a fallen rider, and have to cross your wake, its deep enough to keep the water out. I'm not sure how skiing would be behind it. Even empty it throws out a good size wake. I think its about 1k more pounds then the LSV. And it handles rough water like a dream. I'm sure owners that have had their XLV more then 13 hours will be able to help you more, this is just my thoughts.

I have about 13 hours on my XLV now. The XLV is so deep I have not had so much as a drop hit me or come in the front of the boat. It has a giant wake with the 3 bags and wakeplate. And Even when you go back to pick up a fallen rider, and have to cross your wake, its deep enough to keep the water out. I'm not sure how skiing would be behind it. Even empty it throws out a good size wake. I think its about 1k more pounds then the LSV. And it handles rough water like a dream. I'm sure owners that have had their XLV more then 13 hours will be able to help you more, this is just my thoughts.

thanks for the info. I hope to drive test the XLV and make a final decision next week. Do you have any problems putting it on or off a trailer.

Also, the 2005 XLV is only 3,600 lbs vs the 2004 is 4,100 lbs. Why the difference?

Doug

No problems at all getting it on or off the trailer. This is my first boat that has had guide poles, and they make it super easy. I have been out 4 times now and i load faster then any other boats I am waiting for. As for the 04 and 05 weight difference, there is no difference in the boats. The fisrt year they used the wet weight, second year they used dry weight

so is the LSV 3000 lbs weight dry or wet?

I've just passed 25 hours on my 05 XLV and I absolutely love it. I had similar criteria in my boat search as I upgraded from my Outback LS. The XLV has tons of space, throws out more wake than I know what to do with, and takes on rough water like a champ. I still like to slalom ski so I even emptied the ballast and took a few pulls. The boat pulls well enough to get my 200 lbs up like a ski boat and the wake is workable. It's absolutely NOT any kind if a competition wake, there's at least a foot and a half or so to jump over. but it's ski-able. I can't compare it to the LSV, but I did test Mastercraft and Ski Nautique. You won't find a better all around package for the price.

could you send me your tel number to [email protected]. I would like to call and talk about the different options on the XLV. Thanks

I'll give a detailed report on my early experience with my 9-hour-old XLV soon -- hopefully this week. I am burning the candle at both ends right now, or I would post more. In short, I got most of the power and safety options, which means pretty much everything except the extras for the stereo.

I did test-drive an LSV before getting the XLV. I eventually figured that I would want the XLV within a couple of years, so I ponied up the extra dough now, instead of losing more on another transaction later. It really is a lot more boat for a little more money. In that view, the only reasons that one would prefer the LSV would be where less is better. That would be:

- Existing tow vehicle just won't do, and cannot be replaced soon; the XLV with tandem trailer is 5000 lbs, LSV with single trailer is 4000 lbs.
    - Non-wakeboarding activity: in the range of 12-27 MPH, XLV makes a big wake, even unweighted. Cruising or keeping peace with neighbours may make usable-but-smaller wake preferable.
    - Lots of beginner riders: LSV's wake is smaller AND narrower, but still useful.
    - Inconvenient fuel source; LSV is undoubtedly easier on fuel, and might make it though a weekend's fun without refueling.

Note that I didn't mention affordability above. All of Moomba's models are attractively priced. Amortise the cost over the time that you'll have it, minus its resale value, and the difference in price between models and options turns out to be small compared to getting what you want that whole time.

Personally, I plan to have mine for its full useful life. That's perhaps 15-20 years if I use it appropriately (good maintenance, lots of use). Thus, resale value is only a "Plan B" consideration. By the time I have kids who are old enough to whine about taking it out unattended, the boat will be old enough that I wouldn't worry if they mess it up. Of course, I'll still feign horror in such an event, and hold it over their heads forever. Bwah-hah-hah-hah! Um, what was the topic?

Oh yeah, LSV vs XLV. The LSV is a fairly shallow boat for its size. My dealer said that Skier's Choice was considering making it deeper in the future. Maybe, but you want a boat this year. I recommend that you test drive them both, playing out some realistic boat manouvres for all your activities -- wakeboarding, tubing, whatever. Don't forget about crossing your own wake or some other chop. Feel how the boat moves at various speeds. Analyse its wake. Run with empty ballast and full ballast. Trim up and down.

Oh yeah, the tower on the LSV is just 6' above the boat's floor. I foresaw great comedy with my 6'2" friend hitting his head on it repeatedly. Alas, the XLV's tower is around 6'6", so I'll need some taller friends for that kind of entertainment.

Best wishes,
    Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini