Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help an idiot

The stock amp in my boat is a kicker zx200.4 way underpowered for 6 inboat speakers.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

That sounds right... I think that's what I have as well. So, a 4 channel ???w amp?
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

The dual battery setup isn't too hard but I understand on the cost.

I asked about wiring thinking there might be a way to get more out of your current amp. Do you currently have the stock amp hooked up to in-boats, sub, and the new tower speakers?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

yea... everything... I am sure there is prolly a better way.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"

If that is indeed the amp. Then you are looking at 200w x 4 channels. This doesn't hold true for all speakers but here is a generalization of the amp specs ...

1. 35 watts x 4 chan. @ 4 ohms - If you wired 4 speakers, each speaker would see 35 watts
    2. 50 watts x 4 chan. @ 2 ohms - If you wired 2 speakers together on one channel (2 ohm) then each would see 25 watts.
    3. 100 watts x 2 chan. @ 4 ohms - If you bridged (i think?), you could wire 2 speakers getting 100 watts each.

A combo of option 1 and 2 is ideal for in boat speakers. Option 3 would be ideal for your new towers.

Aside from all of the above, you are asking a small 4 channel amp to run 9(?) speakers? You def are not getting the full potential out of the speakers. You might be better off by either not running some of the in boats or running them off the head unit.

So I guess the question to you is, do you have any interest in buying another amp for the summer?
    2016 Moomba Mojo

One thing that was important to me being a sound system newbie was when I added a sub I was able to use my in boat stock amp on high pass. It really helped everything sound better. I actually used my old tower speakers' amp, which was a 250.2 in bridge mode for the sub. Then I added a bigger amp for the tower speakers.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

So I guess the question to you is, do you have any interest in buying another amp for the summer?

Yes, I believe so. I want it to sound it's best for sure... if I can achieve that with (1) amp that would be ideal. I believe in keeping it as simple as possible.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"

The Kicker ZX200.4 would be just enough to drive six basic in-boat coaxials decently but absolutely no more. With two cockpit coaxials in parallel on each of the two rear channels you would have 25 watts per speaker. After you gain the remaining two front channels on the two bow speakers, to effectively match the cockpit speakers in output, you will have the equavilent power to all six speakers (6 X 25 watts). Even without a subwoofer running the amplifier in the highpass mode at 55 Hz (assuming the amplifier has variable highpass provisions on all channels) will not diminish any bass contribution by the 6.5" coaxials but will clean up both the amplifier and speakers. So you could use this amplifier and just supplement it for tower and subwoofer power.

David
    Earmark Marine

I really need someone to dumb that down for me please.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"

Your speakers will benefit from being grouped into in-boats, sub, and towers. That allows high-pass to be used.

Here are the two options I see if you are only wanting to add one amp.

1. Use your factory amp to push the tower speakers, 100 watts x 2. Then pick up a 5 channel amp that could be used to run the in-boats and sub.

2. Use your factory amp to push the in-boats, 25 watts x 6. Then pick up a 4 channel amp to run the towers and sub with. I think this would have to be a specific 4 channel amp? I don't know about that department.

Things to consider: 1. You may be better off picking up 2 monoblock amps and running 3 amps instead of picking up another a/b amp. 2. You may be better off scraping that amp altogether and picking up 2 new ones.

Start here: What in boat speakers do you have? What sub do you have? Do you have a budget in mind? Less than $300, 500, 750, etc?

Only factual info we have right now is we want at least 75 watts x 2 going to the tower.
    2016 Moomba Mojo