Default Polar Bear Run - Second thoughts

So Newty threw out doing a polar bear run on January 1 on the Columbia river and I told him I'm in unless something gets in the way. Cruised by the boat launch today and I may be having some second thoughts -

My first thought was WTF! Whip out the phone and start taking pictures.

No, not the loch ness monster. I'm pretty sure it was a sea lion, A BIG ASS SEA LION, out there grabbing dead salmon (or near dead) and flopping them on the surface. I watched him for a good 10 min and I would gauge his body about the size of a horse.

I would not want to come face to face with one of those buggers out there! Other than that the water was nice and probably the clearest I've seen it in years, could see down close to 8ft. Can't say how cold it was.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Dude thats nothing, i was in the downtown area 2 years ago Streetch's boat and we passed like 4 or 5 of them. The sit on the sand bars, swim in the water, they are freakish huge man. I dont know if they go after the people but i wasnt about to even pee off the platform to find out. I held it all day LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

We may be headed to the Willy just because a bunch of folks have a ski race every year on the first. May be fun to watch and ride.

Pretty sure I hooked one this last fall sturgeon fishing. It was like setting the hook in a volkswagen. Then watched it spool my reel and about burned my drag before it broke off.

Thought I was looking at the Columbia monster at first.

PWI as usual...

I have been chased out of the surf by a Bull Sea Lion once and it wasn't a fun experience. And you're right in that they are not only humungus but they can also swim incredibly fast!
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V