Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bluetooth from RCA?

I do not have a bluetooth head unit and have no desire to buy a new head unit. However, I wouldn't mind losing a wire if possible. I currently use the aux in which is the disk changer slot style in the back of the head unit. Go from it to Ipod or from it to RCA/3.5 headphone.

Is there a way to go from RCA to bluetooth allowing me to stream from my phone to the head unit wirelessly? I am assuming if you can its going to be a powered conversion?

Is there a brand someone has used?
    Are there marine applications I need to consider?
    I'm assuming I should just stick to DC power? Should it be hardwired or could I just run to the posts under the drivers helm?

Aside from the technical side ... Who uses bluetooth? Does it work from all over the boat? Does it ever sound harsh?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackBerry-R...#ht_1063wt_905

They way wakeworld reads, that cord would do the trick. Curiosity on this is up for sure.

"Break away from your regular headsets and enjoy your favorite music throughout the comfort of your own home with the Blackberry Remote Stereo Gateway, which streams the music stored on your BlackBerry smartphone or other A2DP-compatible devices to a home stereo. Now you can carry your favorite tunes on one device so you can enjoy it anywhere.
    To wirelessly transmit your music, simply connect the Gateway using the accompanying 3.5mm stereo cable or RCA auxiliary cable to your stereo system, turn on the gateway, pair your device, and that's it. You are free to roam up to 30 feet without missing a single beat. Use the Bluetooth connection to change tracks, adjust the volume, and play or pause the music. Just tap a finger on its touch-sensitive surface to bring it to life or put it to sleep.

The BlackBerry Remote Stereo Gateway is compatible with all Bluetooth enabled mobile devices so you can stream your music from your BlackBerry smartphone, PC, laptop, or any other A2DP-compatible mobile phone. It can support up to eight different devices."
    Last edited by dusty2221; 12-20-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Another
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Receiver.html

I may order one of these to give it a go.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Ok, last link for opinions. Check this one,Plugs directy into 12v outlet, cord then runs directly to aux in on H/U, HSE, or EQ. This could be accomplished by picking up a 12v plug from Vato Zone, wiring it in under the dash (hidden and wouldn;t have to give up an existing plugin) So it could remain plugged in, then the aux goes right to component.....

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno...414047&sr=1-51

Are we getting closer?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Really? ... Nothing?

Nobody uses bluetooth?
    2016 Moomba Mojo

There was a post on here a while back where a guy had installed the Apple Airport(?) so that he could stream from his iPad or iPhone. Did a search and nothing turned up but I remember seeing it. Although I'm bluetooth capable in both the truck and the boat the wires already ran and hidden so just sticking with them is easy to do.

Although I did just order that Krypt EQ on sale so I may switch and run mine into the aux-in on that instead of clear back to the HU and go from a 12ft wire down to a 2ft...

Do you lose any sound quality going bluetooth?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Sure you are going to lose sound quality via the use of any compressed format or transmission method. Just like there is an audible difference between a CD and an ipod.
    The question is whether or not you can hear the difference in 'your' system in 'your' environment.
    If its an esoteric audio system (using Focal K2s, Boston Zs, DynAudio speakers, etc. driven by a ton of power) in a very quiet luxury car using purely Lossless files then you might want a hardwired link strictly coming out the bottom port of your ipod.
    If its anything but an ideal situation then you may not hear any difference. Underway out on the lake is far removed from an ideal environment.
    And, not all ipods deliver the same sound quality. There can be a large discrepancy between models and generations. This subject alone makes for a worthwhile Mac search.
    Nor are all Bluetooth devices created equal.
    But a good Bluetooth device is going to be fine in almost every marine scenerio.

David
    Earmark Marine

Thanks David. That is mostly want I was wanting to know.

I would want a device that didn't discriminate so i could use Andriod device or Apple device.

What do I need to look for in a "good" bluetooth device? AD2P bluetooth I'm guessing? I don't care about phone calls, I'm simply wanting to transfer compressed music from my phone to the bluetooth device and maintain as much quality as possible.

David, it may not be this simple ... but in our environment (lake), is there likely to be a hearable quality difference between running my aux cord out of the headphone jack versus a good bluetooth device? I feel like you answered that no?

I think I'm going to have to pick one up to try out at the house. Seems like there are a lot of potential benefits.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Mostly, when using Bluetooth we use an Alpine CDE-123 or a comparable brand/model with Bluetooth built in.
    A good friend likes his Gateway Bluetooth interface on his Malibu which has an excellent audio system throughout. He uses Bluetooth directly into a very clean Audio Control EQ with no HU.
    For me personally, if you still have to run a power cable to keep the ipod powered and charged then I don't see the benefit. But if you want a pass-around option then I totally get it.
    The headset 3.5 mm jack out the top of an ipod is not nearly as clean as the true preamp out the bottom port. Note that sometimes these internal headphone amplifiers can be very simple Class B amplifiers (and not Class AB) for higher efficiency reasons. After all this is normally a battery powered device. Now, if the top phone jack sounds better to you then its just a matter of gain differential that you can easily compensate for.

David
    Earmark Marine

That's what I needed to know. Sounds like I will be giving it a shot.
    2016 Moomba Mojo