Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablets

Default Tablets

Trolling the boards from my iPad & noticed Ian's reply said " from my Kindle Fire". We have an iPad and iPad 2 and both get a ton of use by my kiddos, ages 4-12, my wife and myself. We didn't get the 3G models as we felt we would almost always be using them where wifi would be available. There has been a rare occasion that we wish we had it, but have gotten by with our iphones.

What are your thoughts on tablets? Interested in what Ian has to say about the Fire and what others have to say about others (Asus, HP, BB, Sony, etc.). Android platform vs apple?

I have a xoom and really like it. We have a 3g plan for it as we have to use it for home internet (only other option is satellite). Using it as a wireless hotspot works well for browsing internet on another laptop, haven't tried doing much more than that. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, though. Daughter loves it and we google video chat with the grandparents so it gets good use.

I'm a droid fan so its just my preference. Almost bought the nexus today but couldn't justify the extra 100 between verizon today and amazon in a week.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Mrs. Kane won an ipad2 and it gets used around the clock. Santa is bringing the twin boys an android tablet. It actually got here the other day but it's stashed away. I'll know a lot more about them in a few weeks.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Wife have the ipad one. Gets lots of use. Daughter won this samsung galaxy tablet, so i swapped her a new itouch for it. She is 11 and wanted more music ,videos and games.

I really only use this to surf the web. Ipad2 in my future.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

im usually very far behind the technology gizmo curve so i will probably get my first tablet in about 6 years
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Instead of buying my wife a tablet for christmas i got her a wetsuit and life jacket. Priorities people!!
    2000 Mobius V

I've almost pulled the trigger on one of the lighter duty android based tablets this year that have been sub $100 just to play with but really can't justify it. I'm surrounded by computers all day (work and home) and have an iphone holstered 24/7. Browsing this forum and playing games is about all I'd use one for. Don't do much social stocking.

I've heard the lower end tablets do not have as responsive touch screens though. Brother in law had an iPad and I've played with that a lot. He now has a newer Android based Asus (insert name) tablet which was a few hundy that he got after his iPad was stolen. Played with that a bunch too and found I prefer the iPad.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

guy at best buy summed it up for me..

tablets are in their infancy right now. don't buy one unless you have a solid pc/laptop at home already as they are not the replacement for the full blown pc yet. don't spend your cash on the most up-to-date machine as the price-per-computing curve on them will be sky high for the next 2 years and what you buy today, whether it's $200 or $700 will be the same paperweight in 2 years..

that being said, I bought an ARchos 10" for $219 from my work. it works well for the limited surfing and the few games that we play and it's a whole lot less bulky than a laptop. friend has an ipad that he shelled out $500 for. based on what I see, at the end of 2 years, we'll both be ready for the next generation, but I have a $300 head start on him

my opinion, I'll never own an apple product. android ftw... too many workarounds to get the music I have off limewire/napster onto itunes. give me drag/drop anyday....

sent from my bagphone using 56k dialup.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

99% percent of the tablets out now are for pure entertainment, and there's nothing wring with that at all. But a $500 tablet for just fun when you can have a capable laptop for the same price? Doesn't make sense.

That being said there is one, and my tablet of choice btw, that does promote productivity and that would be the Toshiba Thrive. It is the only one that has full size access ports for external devices; USB, mini USB, HDMI, SD card and it's expandable. Not to mention the back cover removes for self battery replacement, nobody else does that that I'm aware off.

Yes it's a little bigger (thickness .63") and heavier (1.6lbs) than others but the benefits far outweigh that imo. Personally I like the thickness & weight of it, doesn't feel like it's flimsy or going to break.

It runs on Android 3.2 (Gingerbread) and comes fully loaded and ready to rock. Personally android is the only way to go for me. I'm a techy and love this stuff but it has to do more and allow me to do what i want with it. Android does that as it's open source code so I can make whatever changes and alterations i want, just like my Samsung Galaxy S smartphone. Good luck with that on an apple product.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Sent from my iPad 2 because the kids are playing with the iPad 1.
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV