Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kicker 10 L5's

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Curious about this as well since I have a spare twin to my sub sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

So if you build a single box to house 2 subs how do you figure out the size/volume requirement? I am currently running a 12" Polk in a sealed box. Some songs give too much bass, others I'm looking for more. In the end I'd rather have more than less. I have a ton of room under my helm - enough I believe that I could build a bigger sealed box and have both subs in it - most likely one facing up, the other facing back. For example if each sub suggests .75 cu ft for a sealed box then would I be looking at building a 1.5cu ft box? Running them parallel for a 2ohm load I'm confident I have plenty of power off my sub amp still. Just wondering if it would be worth it I guess.
    You have enough room for a family of immigrants under your dash, throw that second sub under there! We can throw a box together in a hurry. Are they the same subs?

PWI as usual...

I think that I am going to tackle this after the holidays. It should be interesting.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    I think that I am going to tackle this after the holidays. It should be interesting.
    Your going to be hard pressed to get 2 L-5's under the helm in there. I was waiting to see how Ian got his done. Maybe you can borrow his shoehorn and vaseline when hes done. lol

PWI as usual...

This brings up my question which I think David was touching on?? I dont like the normal junk bass or trunk bass you hear in the car rolling with 22"s on it. I like a PUNCH or a hard shorter tone?? Am I saying that right? I dont like the LONG sounding bass. I like the shorter hard punch?? and...how do you achieve that sound? Jet
    89' Comp Resto:
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=8193

Riding and Mod pic's:
    http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=86

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-PPI Amps 1750 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I bought a prebuilt ported bass box at first and it was HUGE - way too big to even attempt. I went with a custom made sealed box because I didn't want that 'rollin in da hood' kind of bass either...

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...nclosures.html

Oh ya Newty - they are identical Polk MM2124 12's. But looking at their specs now it says minimum impedance 3.3ohms....

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/recent/mm2124/

So maybe I CAN'T split my mono amp to run 2 of them at 2ohms.
    Last edited by bergermaister; 12-12-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Jet,
    We call that car with wire 22"s, two 18" subs and two bullet tweeters a Donk. And, we hear that hungover bass all the time.
    That slooow bass has far less to do with the woofer size or individual woofer speed.
    There are SPL woofers versus SQ woofers.
    There are enclosures that are specifically designed to emphasize a single note and create more peak output...versus an enclosure alignment that is well-damped and intended to be linear (smooth response). You generally will not find pre-built SQ enclosures.
    So system design and component selection plays a major role. System execution and tuning are major factors as well.
    Its funny in that the Donk crowd is just as dissatisfied with a musical sounding subwoofer as you are with an indiscriminant sounding subwoofer.

David
    Earmark Marine

Ok guys I have been thinking about this alot and the big question is I am currently running a 750.5 kicker that is putting out 410rms to the sub channel at 2ohm. I don't know if I really want to try and sell my amp and get two new amps. I have been considering stepping up to a 12 or 15 running that rms wattage. Am I going to see a lager enough output change over my one ten sealed? should I port my ten and call it a day?
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

New Guy,

The Kicker 700.5's 420 watts @ 2 Ohm is respectable power for a 10 or 12 in sub. You should have no trouble finding a 12 that will work in either a sealed or ported that will be a good match for that amp. If you want to stay in the kicker lineup, take a look at the 2011 L3 12". But since you already have a 10 L5, im not sure that you will really have a seat of the pants improvement going from a square 10 to a square 12 with the same amp wattage. Now going from a sealed 10 to a ported 12, I think you would see some difference.

<< Start Hi-Jack>>
    Hey MLA - You seem like a pretty sharp audio guy. If you build a single sealed box to house 2 subs how do you figure out the size/volume requirement?
    << End Hi-Jack>>
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

In the neighborhood of double the volume needed for a single sub enclosure. Sealed boxes are so forgiving.