Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help from stereo experts. Thanks

What I have. 2008 outback V Stock head unit, stock cabin speakers, upgraded jl xd700/5 amp with remote for sub, powering cabin speakers and jl 13w1-2 sub.

What I want. I use my Ipod most of the time. I want a head unit that I can plug my ipod into, and add a transom remote along with a drivers remote that will control and display my ipod songs. I am also going to add tower speakers, and amp. (not sure what yet). It would be great to have a head unit that gives me seperate control over tower speakers. I would rather spend more on head unit then add an eq if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
    2008 Outback V Black & White

Mike,
    Source units from Kenwood, Sony, Alpine and several others can easily fill all those needs and many more. However, if the HU is located on the passenger side in the glove compartment then the fader as used to independently control inboat and tower zones will be inconvenient to access. And that is a feature that you definitely will want instant and convenient access to. Alpine has a dual zone remote control, that while its not exclusive, its rare. You can easily supplement any HU with a Kicker dual zone 4-channel line driver that places the dual zone controls in a compact package that fits tightly up under the driver's dash. Like remote controls, this unit does not extend the signal path so you can avoid long to and from RCA cable runs like what you would have with an equalizer. Now, in contrast if your HU is on the driver's side then the decision and choices are made much simpler.

David
    Earmark Marine

David,
    My head unit is located in the glove box on passenger side. Yes I would definitely like to be able to control the tower speakers from the driver side.

Thanks
    Mike

Elevated - Theres' tons of options out there head unit wise. I like the Kenwood 700U as it opens up and you can store you iPhone / pod in the unit and charge it. And it also gives you integrated playlist control on the transom remote. for 200-250 you cannot really go wrong here. I know of 6-7 boats off the top of my head that run that deck and its great. I think Mandley has one. talk with him and get his user take.

This deck also provides 3 sets of rya outputs (and good output voltage) to individually feed your amplifiers. As for the fader control of the tower zone you might look at a simple PacLC1 controller, or the kicker piece, or step up to a eq that does all the zone control functionality built in. Clarion makes a good one and so does wetsnds.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

I have been running the Kenwood 700U for 2 seasons this comming one will be the 3rd season, no really issues with the deck and it displays everythign on the remote and you have full access to all the controls to switch threw your playlists.

Only downside is on the remote its a little more difficult to search threw playlists and each botton has multiple functions depending on what menu your in and the buttons arnt lables for each menu. With some practise you can seach threw with the remote pretty easily.

2 tumbs up on this head unit.

Mike
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike,
    Another applicational issue worth mentioning is that if your existing non-display remote control is high on the coaming outside of the dash, this can be a mounting challenge for some larger display remote controls and its harder to read a display remote so far off axis. You could flush the two Kicker level controls in a switch panel of sorts in the factory remote control position and then find a better location for the new display remote control, underdash for example.

David
    Earmark Marine

Thank you Brian, Mandley, and David. I will take a look at the kenwood 700U. Mandley what are you using to control your tower speakers?

Elevated1 Mike is using lots of $$$$$ to control his tower
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Im using the Kicker Dual zone controller--works great for controlling the tower speakers and incabins, super easy to add and you just run 2 phone cables to the controller.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I went with two JL Audio CL-RLC line drivers. It's better than the Kicker unit on paper (i.e., higher input voltage and cleaner signal per the specs) but also costs more. And plus, I can use both pairs of my HU's full range preouts instead of taking one pair and splitting it into two as with the Kicker. Not sure if there is any real world difference in sound quality though. I got a great deal on them so I chose this route.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV