Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 01 Outback FUEL/WATER problems

seem to be having some problems with water getting in my fuel on my 01 Outback. I think it all started when the small glass inline filter got loose and sucked some water up and caused the boat to die. I thought it felt a little loose. After cleaning it out it took quite awhile to get running. We ran the boat around the lake everything was ok. That night I put in a bottle of HEET and filled the tank..........just incase.

We get to the lake the following weekend and the boat starts up and just dies. Then will not run at all. I take the boat home and put it on the fake a lake and get the boat running by pouring fresh gas in the carb. Another Sunday down the drain

Has anyone had any fuel/water issues? I am wondering if it is getting into the tank through the vents in the gas cap????? What is the easiest way to drain the tank? Also it is completely full, do you think if I siphon with a hose at the bottom of the tank that it will get the water first as water is heavier than fuel?

Does anyone here use an aftermarket fuel/water separator, if so where can I get one???

Thanks!

Default Replying to Topic '01 Outback FUEL/WATER problems'

I added one to my boat[04 Mob LSV]Bought it at Carquest.I did not like how the stock fuel filter was located in the bilge.I relocated it also.
    John

Thanks for the reply. Did you have any issues before installing the new filter?

No,I just did not like the filter sitting in the bilge.It would be sitting in any water that was in the bilge.Just not a good idea in my opinion.
    John

jefferyala,
    first I'm not sure but I dont think those glass filters are certified for inboard's
    someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'd get it out to start. I do not think water got back into your tank the antisiphon valve would stop that from happening.

Does the boat start on its own or do you have to pour fuel into the carb bowls to get it running. (careful thats why there are flame arrestors) does it stay running after or die out.
    could be fuel pump,filter or fuel pump cutoff switch .throw a little more info out.
    chris
    CS

yep,

fuel pump or vac line pulled or broken at the fitting during the other operation are my guess.

I guarantee you can set a motor on fire pouring fuel in a carb. Ben there done that.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Smokedog
    I have a friend that while pouring fuel in the carb,another guy was cranking the motor over-backfired-my buddy fell backwards and got fuel on his upper body, lit him up and he recieved 2nd and 3rd degree burns.This was on a car, but the same can happen on a boat.Very dangerous.Be safe.
    John

Car here too. I did not get burned but probably should have. If gas were invented today it would never be legal.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Hi guys,

Yesterday I siphoned out the tank from the bottom with some hose and did not see any water. The boat started and ran fine yesterday after sitting all week. I think there may have been some residual water left in the fuel pump. Last week before we got it running by pouring the gas in I took the lines off the fuel pump and what fuel came out was very cloudy. I am going to take her out today and hopefully all is well. Will post the outcome.

I will NOT pour gas directly into the carb now!!! Thanks for the warning.

Is there a procedure for testing the pump and cutoff switch?

What does the stock fuel filter look like? Is it plastic?

Jeff

did that do the job for you becasue Im havingthe same problem.
    I changed my fuel pump and we were riding and all of a sudden engine no go.