Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mouse Terds in boat?!

I went to my storage unit today to check on her and do a little clean up. I turned the stereo on and started cleaning things out for winter storage. I got to the drivers side bow seat and when I lifted the seat I noticed little terd droppings and a bunch of chewed orange plastic pieces!!! I keep my ropes under this seat.....

I took everything out and noticed my orangle proline handle was chewed on and of course the droppings of, what I'm assuming is mouse terd, was scattered about. My boat is stored in a nice, sealed unit. I checked the perimeter of the unit and all looks tight.

How did the alleged mouse get in my boat and under the closed seats?

How do I keep this maniac out of my unit?

I will put the cover on today after im done cleaning up but I seriously doubt the cover will keep this dude out!
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Gonna be real tough to avoid Mice all together if boat/trailer touches the ground in any way. Suggest traps,sooner rather than later. hopefully ,just a single mouse. Make sure No food or crumbs etcIf you have a power source ,The Electronic noise makers work pretty well as well. Good Luck and hopefully no more damage.
    07 Outback DD

How does the dang mouse get in the boat though? I figured the smooth surface of the exterior would keep them from being able to climb inside. Tricky critters I guess. I do have a power source so I guess I'll look into the electronic noise deal you talked about Mikey, thanks for the suggestion
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Anything open? Drain plug? Can any of the cover be lifted? Put out some sleepy mouse (poison). Better for them to eat that than your accessories or seats and a dead mouse doesn't make a mess.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Gotta watch using poison because they don't drop dead in their tracks and if that sucker ends up crawling into some obscure place and dies, you may have one stinky boat next season. Try these easy to use traps from d-con.

http://www.d-conproducts.com/traps/nvnt.html

JPetty, I always put at least 3 boxes of D-con in my boat when it goes to storage. You know those triangle yellow boxes. Only had on time they got in the past 3 year, chewed on bait and never found anything else. Better be Safe than find you wires chewed up and a nest in your boat. The mice can get in places you never thought they could. Rick
    Rick
    2002 Moomba Mobius V

X2 on the d con
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Grabbing some D con tomo and maybe one of those electric mouse bait/traps. My drain was open and cover off but tucked away in a nice tight storage unit. Drain plug in and cover on now
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

I leave my boat outside all year long and my drain plug is in the bottom of the boat so I just lay it loosely across the drain so anything can drain out and it keep all but Mighty Mouse out.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

mice are tricky creatures- they can fit trough the smallest of places- the pest guys will tell you they can flatten their skull in order to do this. if they want to get in somewhere they'll get in. I would suggest a multilayer plan of defense. I'm sure you already vacuumed up any food crumbs in your boat but as you already found they'll climb in looking for nesting material. My dealer suggests moth balls in the compartments- not sure if they really do anything but I've never found mouse droppings.

I'm a big believer in poison- I like the bait blocks. I used to catch mice in my crawl space all the time until I started putting bait blocks in my window wells. If it's possible surround your storage unit with bait blocks; then put some traps around your boat. then maybe some bait blocks or dcon in your boat. The poison makes them thirsty- so they'll usually go back outside looking for water before they croak. You'll win this war on mice.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float