Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Rider

Default Night Rider

After watching several videos of people surfing at night I’m curious to know if such a thing is legal and if so where. I can say not in NY.

In Texas the limit is 30 minutes after sunset. We were pulled over last year and the game warden politely suggested "that was the laaaaast pull" I got the hint and agreed quickly!

Sent from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

In Indiana you're only allowed to "tow" a skier during daylight hours- but I've always wondered about free surfing- if you did a platform start you would never be towed but I'm thinking they would site you for reckless boating and open containers or something. Similarly- the reservoir closest to us has a designated "towing area" and you're not supposed to wakeboard or pull a tuber outside of it, but I've always thought you could start surfing in the tow area then free surf in the rest of the lake. I tried to ask an officer about surfing last year and he didn't even know what it was.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

No watersports at all after dusk in California
    2007 Mobius LSV

Same in OR cant be pulling anything or anyone after the sun goes down, but i will ride till its down, then drain the ballast and head to the ramp, more then a few times we loaded the boat in the dark lol. Nice having them docking lights.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

1/2 hour after sunset in washington and we use every bit of it. In the summer that can be 9:30.
    Last edited by zabooda; 12-01-2011 at 03:48 AM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    Similarly- the reservoir closest to us has a designated "towing area" and you're not supposed to wakeboard or pull a tuber outside of it, but I've always thought you could start surfing in the tow area then free surf in the rest of the lake.
    Pretty sure that wouldn't fly... rather like saying the first speed limit sign you saw when you got on the road was 55 so the 35 MPH limit later on doesn't apply... "but officer it was posted 55 six miles back..."

or we could go the sports analogy route and say you can run out of bounds and through the stands and then back onto the field with the football to make a touchdown since you started in bounds...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

illegal here, and imo, not a real bright idea. if you open it up to "responsible" people, then you also open it up to the boatload of guys that have been drinking all day. wouldn't be too hard to end up either running over or losing your surfer/boarder.
    same as mmandley here. I have loaded the boat up several times in the dark. marina is well lit. kind of nice to be on a smooth empty lake when it's quiet out
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Sunset in kansas. We always ride right till dark , and turn on tower lights to get a few more runs in. We always make sure no one is in area though. Only been stopped once at the dock loading the boat and was told not to do it. It helps when you know the Park Official. In the summer we ride till 9 or 9:30. My boat has Cabin party light so we chill and cruise after.
    Surfing in Kansas.......
    Rick
    2002 Moomba Mobius V

Our hours are 10-2:30 Fri, Sat and holidays. 10-4 Mon and Fri, 10-7 Tues-Thurs. Really makes it frustrating when everyone is trying to get their riding in a 4 hour 30 min window on weekends on a small lake. Absolutely dangerous on holidays...last year on the 4th, someone ran over our rope while I was still in the water and we were bringing the rope in. Wish I could say we had the "sunrise/sunset rule"
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition