Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spark arrestor replacement on 5.7L Vortec

I have the 5.7L Vortec V8 with the pancake aluminum spark arrestor air filter. I want to replace it with one of the new ducted cone filters that I am seeing on some of the new engines. I can't find a replacement kit. Any help?

Not available as far as i know and not likely any better air flow compared to the metal spark arrester,About as unrestrictive airflow as your going to get.

I looked into this briefly a couple years ago.
    07 Outback DD

Check k&n. I thought someone mentioned there was a k&n option. Could be wrong
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Do a search for "K&N Flame Arrestor Conversions" or something similar. Spark Arrestors are for off-road vehicles which could be the reason your not finding anything.

I had looked into this somewhat myself a couple years ago and all i could find then was a K&N marine replacement that was roughly the same size and shape as the flame arrestor. Then I realized the aftermarket makes conversion kits for autos that use the cone shaped filter. These kits have a custom plastic plenum that relocates the filter element. As the throttle body is a standard size it would work, probably a GM product kit. Problem is finding one that clears everything and fits easily without having to "buy & try". In the long run I determined it's not worth the hassle as there's no benefit.
    2007 Mobius LSV

This is what I'm referring to in order to gain the cone type filter, it's much easier just getting a K&N Flame Supressor. You would have to custom route something to similar to this, probably have to be custom made. There's no call for this stuff aftermarket for our type of boats. It's on the 340 CAT motor because the manifold design dictates it.

air-cleaner.jpg
    2007 Mobius LSV

I guess I am missing the point, so I'll ask. What benefit do you expect there to be in replacing it?
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

I am with KSmith on this one. I am not sure why anyone would want to do this. Also, TBI motors are supposed to have actual spark arrestors, not air filters. The serve a specific purpose. That is to keep the boat from catching fire.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I am with KSmith on this one. I am not sure why anyone would want to do this. Also, TBI motors are supposed to have actual spark arrestors, not air filters. The serve a specific purpose. That is to keep the boat from catching fire.
    Not true, the Indmar 340CAT, 6.0L & 8.1L motors all have K&N filters on them from the factory (See below) and K&N make Flames Arrestors that will work on the 325 Assault engine. With fuel injection there's a lot less chance of that happening versus a carbed motor.

Ind6_0L.jpg
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    I guess I am missing the point, so I'll ask. What benefit do you expect there to be in replacing it?
    I can think of one major reason to replace the POS flame arrestor. How many have pulled it off? Did it come off easy of was it hard and did you have to rock it back and forth to do? Probably the latter. How many have looked into the throttle body after doing so? How many of you have seen the all the aluminum chips sitting there after the flame arrestor shaves aluminum from the body drops them in? Everytime it happens, and I have to use a Q-tip with WD-40 to get them out so the engine won't ingest them.

Any filtering of the intake is going to reduce the amount of contaminants that the engine ingests and that can only lead to longer life. K&N filters are not restrictive at all so you wouldn't loose any performance, in fact it's probably more open than the arrestor is!
    2007 Mobius LSV

I've never had any issue getting the flame arrestor come off nor have I had any shavings in the throttle body to concern myself with. Although that sounds more like an attachment issue more so that a flame arrestor problem.

If it solves a problem for some then more power to ya, for me there is no problem to be solved so it would be wasted money.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V