Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thinking of building one with no experience. Really don't even know where to start. I have a huge love and respect for guns but ARs are uncharted territory for me. An SKS is the closest thing that I own. I would love to pic your brains.
    Last edited by newty; 11-18-2011 at 02:12 AM.

PWI as usual...

Brad,
    Nice project, I did a similar build a few years back when I got a deal on a matched Wilson Combat upper and lower. I'm a weapons guy by trade, 18 series in the Army. I've found if you're looking to do a budget build, its tough to beat some of the prices out there for complete AR's. There's a lot of competition between the lower end AR companies. Cost savings doing it yourself can be eaten up by the shipping costs of using multiple different companies for components.

Wolfeman has some good info in his post, many reputable companies. I use Daniel Defense kit on my personal guns, as well as work guns. Their rails are rock solid. Check out LaRue Tactical as well, they make some quality kit, and have top notch service. Magpul makes my favorite stock, the ACS. But, considering NY ban rules, you may want to try a stock that offers minor eye relief adjustments, so you still have flexibility after the stock is pinned to buffer tube.

As far as optics go, EOTech sites are an excellent choice, but also pricey. I've also found in close quarters tactical situations that the bulky hood on the EOTech can obscure peripheral vision when engaging targets , so I've run a C-More 8-MOA sight the last couple of years on my work gun. It's light, very low profile, batteries last forever, and it's almost half the price of EOTech's. But, if you're looking for a range gun that'll shoot out past 300 meters, you'll want go with something with a smaller MOA reticle, C-More has additional red dot modules in smaller MOA available.

Agree with Magpul P-Mags being the shiznit. Going on 3 years with my original set, bought before the site window was available. Don't be cheap, spend the extra $4 for the windows! I put somewhere around 15,000 rounds through my rifle yearly, and have yet to have any sort of feed issue. I replaced maritime H&K mags, which run about $80 each with the P-Mags, and wouldn't go back.

If you run into any issues on your build hit me up with questions!
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    2001 American Skier LazAir Edition
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Newty, DO IT. its fun! Go ahead and order a lower if you think you might want to do it.

KEEHR, Great info. I know i wont save any $ building, but i have a "Govt' Agent" friend who is helping me build. he went thru colt armorers school. i am an instant grat. kinda person so waiting for parts to come in and waiting til i go home to miss next week is no fun! Also, i wanted to customize a few things so instead of buying complete and lots of replacement parts, it'll work out fine.
    My company sells some optics so I'll be using several options from work for now.. we sell some basic lasers, etc. as well... so i can "play at work"... also, we are finalizing an airgun UPPER that pins right into a standard lower... so that was part of my excuse..

PMags sound good, but i dont see an that are 10 round NY AWB compliant! UGH. i have some Tango Down 10 rounds ordered. at least they LOOK bigger than 10 round plastic crap.

its been fun so far just shopping for parts and planning this out..
    good thing is the muzzle brake will be the only "perm" adjustment to the gun. I can unpin the stock later, add bigger clips, etc. if I move out of NYState.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Here's day 1
    Waiting on a couple of parts to arrive Monday or Tuesday

Fun. Kinda felt a little buzz while building. Was thinking about the next build??? Why? Oh, I was enjoying some suds during the build!
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Found a couple of places online in CA that take 20 round PMags that are converted to 10. Bingo!
    This AR building is addictive. Gimme something to do while the ice is around the lakes!
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Getting somewhere. Grip and stock arrived today.
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Brad

2004 Outback sold

whaddya got for the background in that pic? almost makes it look like a toy.

Rug plus a little creative iphoneography.
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

This better?
    Brad

2004 Outback sold