Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ski deck

Default Replying to Topic 'ski deck'

Thanks, I can't really go out and do that right now, I think I'll do the spray lacquer thing or something. Every time it gets wet and my kids or me get on the platform to get into the ski, that black crap gets all over the boat. I had the original matt changed the first year I had it in for service because it was bubbling up everywhere. Then they put the new 04 (i guess) stuff on there. Now, it just leaves black crap everywhere.

Jim

Did anyone ever get a response from Moomba on this issue ?

I would be interested in if the folks with this problem are leaving their boat on a lift, or otherwise outdoors for the sun to hit the platform. I have the rubber on my '99 mobius. We get a little transfer once in a while, but it has increased now that I have the boat on a lift all summer. It used to be it was only in the sun on weekends, in garage otherwise.

I bet it is simple oxidation, like you get from any rubber surface that is expposed to sunlight on going. This would suggest that if you scrubbed it, and then kept it covered, you might not get as much oxidation...

Just a thought...

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I started this thread last year and this problem was on my first Moomba. I had my Outback for one year and last summer I upgraded to the XLV Gravity Games edition. Any how I had my outback for about 3 months and I was cleaning it up after a fun weekend. I washed and waxed the boat and cleaned the ski platform. Then I put vynal protectant on the rubber of the ski platform. From that point on it was black footprints all the time. I swear I washed that rubber and scrubbed it a million times but could not get this condition from happening. I ended up removing the rubber and replacing it with that gator stuff. Now on my XLV (I have only had it for one summer) I have taken care not to do anything to the rubber except rince it real well and I did not have the black foot print marks last summer. I store my boat inside as well.

My 02 has the 1/4 inch "squishy" pad on it. I went to my dealer last year and purchased a new one. The new one is a little less than an 1/8 inch thick and it is more like a hard rubber. I am hoping that it does not transfer the black as bad. I did notice that the 06 models at the boat shows are different than the replacement one I got. Instead of being smooth they have a criss cross "X" type pattern all over them. I wonder if I should have waited.....figures.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I also noticed the 06 had a different pad. It looks a lot more durable. I was talking to my dealer and I told him that a lot of people were having problems with it rubbing off. Mine has not started to yet, but it looks like its getting a little worn. (it has never spent a night outside) And he told me that when it starts to shed, it should be covered under warranty, and that it should not be a problem to get the 06 pad installed.

I've been told that Skier's Choice has had at least 4 pad types in the last few years. The softest one was the most prone to seeping black dye everywhere. The hardest are much more durable, and less likely to release color, but are much less comfortable to sit or stand on. Constant trade off. I think they went durable+ this year.

-J

So, should just buy the 2006 version ? I really don't want black stuff in my new boat and we have a bunch of kids climbing in and out all day. Does antone know how much it would cost?

I have a similar problem and found what I believe may be a really good solution:

http://www.seadek.com/PageProj06SwimPlat.html

I haven't ordered it yet, but the person from SeaDek (Chuck Yates - [email protected]) was very responsive and mentioned that if I could get him the specifications they would have it CNC Die Cut to those exact specifications and it can be ordered in different thicknesses. I can't tell for sure because I haven't yet seen it in person, but it looks nice in the photos.

While we're on the subject, how do all of you get your old deck coating off? Mine is bubbling up in a number of places, however, it doesn't look like it would be easy to peel the entire thing away from the swim platform.

Happy skiing/wakeboarding,
    -Rusten

With all the problems it seems like y'all have with the black stuff on the fiberglass ski platform, would you recommend the teak "upgrade" for new boat purchases?