Default Boat Mate Trailer Disc Brakes

I plan on taking my new LSV over the North Cascades pass in June for the first time. There is one location with a ten mile stretch of fairly steep grade (4 to 6 %).

I am curious to know how the Boatmate disc brakes perform during long steep grades at highway speeds. Will the steep grade pose an overheat problem for the trailer surge brakes? I know the surge brakes are damped by a shock absorber, however, I am a little concerned that the trailer/boat weight may be sufficient to defeat the shock absorber and cause the disk brakes to activate when traveling down the long grade at highway speeds (60 MPH). Also, I typically run this portion of the trip with my electronic tranny in Trailer mode which keeps my rig from accelerating above 65 downhill.

Anyone have experience to share regarding the new Boatmate disc surge brakes and long steep grades??

Thanks for any info and congrates to all who organized and enjoyed the first South East Moomba Jam. Shows the power of the internet and how it can enable good folks like us to organize a positive fun event.

Will

Default Replying to Topic 'Boat Mate Trailer Disc Brakes'

Will,

I have taken my Kamberra over several long pulls without any problems. However, I am confused about the shock absorber in the braking system? There is an electric solenoid that locks the brakes out when you are trying to back up. Is that what you are talking about? We travel between Spokane, Wa and Banks Lake several times a year. We have also gone to Pearrygin Lake in Twisp and the brakes have not given us any problems.

Will,

I have taken my 2004 outback over I-90 & Hwy 2 numerious time last year with the boat carrying alot of gear inside it and never had any problems.

Larry

Thanks for both your replys here.

According to my manual there is a piston type device (ie shock asb) that is used to add some resistance to how easy the trailer surge mechanism activates. My concern is when trailering down the I-90 Vantage hill just before you cross the Columbia. I typically will use my tranny in haul mode (button on the gear lever). In haul mode, my RV (with boat in tow) will not accelerate as fast during the downhill run. This keeps me from having to keep applying brakes. When running downhill with the tranny in haul mode, I am wondering if there is enough resistance to activate my surge brakes. This is not an issue when using drum type breaks, however, I have heard that disc brakes may tend to activate and possibly over heat.

Will

Will,
    In Trailer Boats Magazine, there are some towing tips, one of which was towing up and down grades. I think if you check the website, you may find your answer there.

If you top the hill and do not have to touch your brakes at all on the way down, you should be ok. However, if you do have to touch your brakes, slow down below your desired speed, then accelerate slightly to release the pressure on the trailer brake actuator.
    I live in North Carolina and travel I-40 through the Smokies to grandma's house in Nashville. Going up and down Black Mountain (which is a 6% grade, I think). But it's all kinds of hilly through there, I have yet to have an issue.
    Hope this helps!
    Jim
    Hickory, NC
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Thanks Jim,

I will monitor this when I get a chance next month. I think I may have issues if I use my "Haul" mode where the tranny shifts down to reduce acceleration and braking effort.

What I may need to do is use the brake intermittently and not down shift which should allow the boat trailer brakes to not lock as much.

OT, I was born nearby in Winston Salem, would like to get back there sometime, it is a nice area (although up here in the great northwest is not too shabby either).

Will