Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Audio setup advice for Outback

Hey, wanted to post this for some ideas from those of you with a lot of stereo experience. I'm planning on installing my new tower this winter, and it came with a pair of twin speakers. I'd like some ideas for an amp, new receiver, and subwoofer/amp combo.

Aerial Speakers. jpg.jpg

Tower speaker specs (4 total);

6 1/2" coaxial mid/woofer
    3/4" soft dome tweeter
    Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
    Frequency Response 35-22kHz
    Power Handling (continuous) : 60w
    Power Handling (peak): 180w
    Efficiency: 92dB

I'd like to amplify the tower speakers, and leave the boat speakers running off the receiver alone. I'm thinking a 12 inch sub under console with a remote level switch for the amp. And my only requirement for the deck is that it has iPod connection. If money allows I'd also like to upgrade the stock boat speakers.

I'm on a somewhat tight budget for the stereo, not Pyle and Boss tight, but a budget nonetheless. I'm looking for something that'll sound good at the sandbar. Anyone have any input on good reputable equipment on the cheap that'd work for my setup?
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    2001 American Skier LazAir Edition
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Brandon,
    Given that the 60 watt Polk tower speakers will be run highpass you can put more than 60 watts each to them. 90 watts each in our experience is about the safe maximum...and only if you take care of your stuff. You can do this with a number of two-channel amplifiers.
    A source unit is not rated by the same standards that external amplifiers are. Figure any source unit that is rated at 4 times 50 watts to be about 16 real watts per channel best case. If you had a small and enclosed pickup truck cabin for example, you might be able to run HU power to four satellite speakers in combination with a 'sub lite'. But the second you go with a 10 or 12-inch subwoofer in an open field boat, you are going to have to drive the in-boat coaxials with external amplifier power.
    Look to the JL Audio "J" series of amplifiers. A great mix of quality and economy. They have three monoblock, two and four-channel amplifiers in that series that should fit your application well.

David
    Earmark Marine

Lots of guys, myself included, run Polk speakers in boat They have good power handling, marine certified, and are on the more affordable side - especially if you shop eBay. Shopping on-line will save you a ton compared to the local shops typically.

Amp wise, a lot of personal preference there but as David is suggesting amplify everything in the boat or you'll be disappointed. And overpower everything. Underpowering will actually cause more harm than good. You can get overwhelmed by the amount of research and suggestions offered (been there!) but having a good base of knowledge before you start is the key.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Thanks for the quick reply, did some searching and came up with this list:

JL AUDIO J2-360.2 Amplifier; ($140)
    110 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (180 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)

This would mean 90W to each of the four tower speakers if wired in parallel right?

JL Audio J2 320.4 Amplifier; ($150)
    60W x 4 @ 4 ohm / 80W x 4 @ 2 ohm

With the added power I imagine I'd have to upgrade the boat speakers. Can anyone fill me in on the number of speakers and sizes inside a 2000 Outback LS?

J2 250.1 JL AUDIO MONOBLOCK 250 W SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER; ($160)
    175 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)

Comes with remote level control.

JL AUDIO 10 INCH MARINE SUBWOOFER 250W 4 OHMS M101B5-SG-WH; ($150)

Open space mounting. Is this preferred, or should I look at shallow mount subs and enclosures?

All for a total of $600, plus install kit.
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

I read another post of a budget install using Kicker components, here's the breakdown;

Kicker ZXM700.5 R 5-Channel Marine Audio Amplifier 750 Watts. ($300)
    4-CHANNEL RMS Power Rating:
    2 Ohms: 85 Watts x 4 Channels
    4 Ohms: 70 Watts x 4 Channels
    4 Ohms Bridged: 165 Watts x 2 Channel
    MONO RMS Power Handling:
    2 Ohms: 420 Watts x 1 Channels
    4 Ohms: 210 Watts x 1 Channels

I like it that this covers the tower and sub both, less wiring and less components to mount. However, I'm not totally up to speed on the ohms measurements, would this only deliver 42.5W to each of the 4 tower speakers if I wire them parallel? Or will I have to run 4 sets of wires up tower in order to get 70W?

Kicker 11SKM10 10" 300W 4 Ohm Marine Subwoofer + Box; ($160)
    10" 4 ohms KM Series Marine Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure
    Peak Power Output: 300 watts
    RMS Power Output: 150 watts

Nice package, would be easy to mount. Would this be a better deal than the open air subwoofer?

KICKER MX350.4 4CH MARINE AMP BOAT STEREO AMPLIFIER; ($175)
    RMS Wattage at 2 Ohm x 4 Channels: 90
    RMS Wattage at 4 Ohm Bridged x 2 Channels: 175
    RMS Wattage at 4 Ohm x 4 Channels: 60

60W to 4 in boat speakers.

For a total of $635. Anyone have any input on Kicker over JL? Or any other brand route they'd recommend?
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Another option, just going to throw it out there since I just listed mine ..

Buy my Krypt 6.5" HLCD and the JL amps to power them ... $650 or reasonable offer

Put the 4 Polk coaxials in the boat. Power them with the JL J2 .... 140

Then your choice on sub but personally I would go with an enclosure. Oh I have a 10" Kenwood Excelon sitting in the garage ..

That would give you HCLD's on the tower for sound at a distant and a solid in boat setup and still a decent price. Having everything amped is def the way to go. Ok, enough pushing my own ... David won't like the 6.5" HLCD route but its an option for those on a budget. I think you will find many that agree on an enclosure.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Are you wanting a lot of thump from the sub? I think you will want to be looking at 300+ rms ratings, that is my personal preference, though.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

MB Quart ONX4.80/500, 5000W 5-Ch Amp; ($280)
    2 ohms: 120 watts x 4 chan. + 375 watts x 1 chan

Would this allow me to amplify 4 tower speakers at 60W each, and 4 boat speakers at 60W each if all wired in parallel? Sure would simplify things if I could use one amp for 8 speakers plus the sub!

Sorry, throwing lots of questions out there. Just getting stoked here, only have a couple more weeks overseas, ready to get the boat in the garage and get to work!
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Try to buy from an authorized or local dealer in your area whenever you can. With an 'un'authorized dealer you can never be 100 percent sure of the origin of the product and whether or not it has authentic serial numbers. You may not have a warranty at all per the warnings on certain manufacturer websites and will certainly have no technical assistance.
    Authorized dealers may be bound by the Miniumum Advertised Price but in reality their actual street price is often as low as the unauthorized internet dealer.

David
    Earmark Marine

Running multiple amps doesn't really hurt anything or make it much more difficult to wire. All the wire still has to get to the same places. Multiple amp setup is likely more efficient as well.
    2016 Moomba Mojo