Default Inboard Boat Info

I have just purchased my first boat, a 2003 Outback LS. My family and I can't wait to take delivery near the end of April. Rob at Club Royale in Waterford MI is great. He made selecting and purchasing our boat a great experience. My question to all is: Where can a first timer get information on how Inboards operate, and how should they be maintained? I'm sure I will receive a good deal of info when I take delivery, but I was trying to do as much research before then as I could. Brian Raymond and others seem to be an incredible resource, but I did not want to post every question I have on this board. If anyone has suggestions I would certainly appriciate them. Thanks.

P.S. GO RED WINGS!
    Jeff
    Dearborn, MI

Default tips

Haven't found a broad reference.

Mechanically, I've tried to learn the terminology for the unique parts and search the net for that part or process. Example: propeller shaft gland packing and gland nut are unique to inboards. I researched the packing itself ( I think using "marine" as a modifier ) and found the packing and also a "how-to" for replacing it.

Operation was a bigger challenge. All trial and error for me.

I learned that inboards are tough to handle at slow speed. Not precise at all compared to outboards or I/O's. This is tough around docks and ramps, especially in traffic and with a breeze. Just be careful and wait for traffic to clear so you can get experience with it.

But I really, really like the inboard. Wanted one for 20 years. Its the only way to go! Good luck-- and don't worry about posting questions. Lots of people on here have real good tips.

catdog,
    Thanks for the input, I'll try what you have suggested and I'll be real carefull taking my new boat out. Thanks.

I also want to let everyone know I received a call from Brian Raymond last week. He called to congratulate me on my purchase and to ask if I had any specific questions. I was totally knocked for a loop. It's not every day that you receive phone calls from the manufacturer of a product you purchased. I think that Moomba is top notch, and this message board is awesome. Thanks to all!
    Jeff
    Dearborn, MI