Hybrid View

Default Marketing Student Looking for Wake/Ski Industry Occupation

I posted this over in the Supra forum but I thought I would post it over here on the other half of the SC family.

So I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post about this on here or not so just take it off if I'm not! : ) The basic subject of this post is to pitch myself. I'm currently a senior at the University of Missouri studying Business Administration with an emphasis in marketing. I will be graduating in May and I'm starting to become fairly nervous about my job search and the market for fresh graduates today.

I just thought I'd throw this out there and ask if there is anyone on here who may know of a connection into the marketing field or know of a job opening somewhere? I'd obviously love to turn my passion into an occupation and work in the marine industry but I understand it's not exactly the time to be picky; so, I'm honestly up for anything. I know it's a long shot but I don't really have anything to lose.

Aside from that, anyone have advice for a soon-to-be-graduate on the job hunt? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Aside from that, anyone have advice for a soon-to-be-graduate on the job hunt?
    Start early, but it looks like you are doing that. Not sure how your school works, but our career conferences were where a lot of recent grads got jobs. Even if there are only 1 or 2 companies looking for Marketing majors, still go and talk to the other companies. Be aggressive and apply EVERYWHERE. When I was looking I tried to apply to at least 2-3 companies a week. I just graduated with a degree in Information Systems and applied at companies I'd never thought I'd be able to work at (Google/Microsoft). Surprisingly, I got interviews with both of them. No second interviews, but it was certainly worth a shot! Good luck in the job hunt and hope this helps!
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

Thanks for the advice Ryan! Where did you attend school? I see you're in central Wisconsin, did you compete on any of the collegiate ski teams up there?

Thanks for the advice Ryan! Where did you attend school? I see you're in central Wisconsin, did you compete on any of the collegiate ski teams up there?
    I went to UW-Eau Claire. No, I didn't compete on any of the ski teams (and I am pretty sure we just had a ski club), I just went to Colorado when I wanted to ski
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V

Haha I meant water! The Eau Claire team is always pretty good

Haha I meant water! The Eau Claire team is always pretty good
    Haha, I guess I am too used to people specifying water skiing. I guess my mind is concentrated on the upcoming snow skiiing/snowboarding season. Yeah, I have heard their team is pretty good. I considered joining since they try to recruit like crazy, but I was always too busy.
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V

Hey Chris -

"marketing" is a fairly wide-open arena with a lot of different areas of focus from research/analysis to design to front-end sales. Any particular area you want to focus in on or strengths you have?

I have a BA in Marketing and MBA in Management and been in the "real world" for 15 years now so I may be able to help steer you a little. I don't work in the marine industry but like you, would love to follow my passion.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...