Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tuning help

Totally off topic here, but can you run full speed / any speed with the FAE on? I haven't looked that closely or read up on it much. Figured it is easier to just ask....
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Totally off topic here, but can you run full speed / any speed with the FAE on? I haven't looked that closely or read up on it much. Figured it is easier to just ask....
    Yes it has no effect on boat performance at all. It bolts onto the exhaust outlets and then is also secured to the swimplatform. All it does is redirect the exhaust flow to down near the prop so when your surfing you dont smell the exhaust, it also causes the exhaust to be much quiter but even at idle you still get the normal rumble and burberling of the exhaust.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

how much quiter is your boat when surfing behind it-with your stereo off, could the driver hear you, can you hear the driver without shouting ??
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    He can stop by on his way home from Florida-ha

Guys, what do you mean by "crossover" ?

I only use the tower speakers for surfing-4 Exile's SX65Q's powered by a Exile amp-think its a 800

Mike, been thinking about the fae myself-how hard was it to install ?
    The amp will have a 2 dials that set the frequency "floor" for the speakers. This setting is in Hertz (Hz). With those speakers, at that power level, and for surfing, I would probably set those two dials at 80Hz. Id also like to see where they are set currently if you dont mind noting and posting back.

Next, you need to make sure the two x-over filter switches are set on "Hi-Pass". If your gains where set using a gain setting procedure, then turn them down a couple clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    how much quiter is your boat when surfing behind it-with your stereo off, could the driver hear you, can you hear the driver without shouting ??
    Its very quite, when driving you can actually hear the water splashing from the boat, now thats a cool effect i never herd before. Also when your surfing you can shut the tower off and listen to the cabin speakers really well. Yes i can yell but not loudly at the driver for any changes i want in speed. Also the rider can hear me yell back at them now when im giving them directions or a roller warning.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Something to ponder guys-

While we are usually very careful to wire all speakers electrically in-phase, there are times when wiring select speakers out-of-phase makes sense. Sound travels at, well, the speed of sound, (duh! ) and it takes time for sound to get from a speaker to your ears. The echo of the announcer at big outdoor events is an extreme example of this. If you are listening/hearing two, (or more) different speakers at the same time there will be cancellation of certain frequencies... This is due to the fact that the sounds from the speakers are travelling different distances and are arriving at your ear in different phase/differeing times. Put another way, while the speakers are electrically in-phase, the speakers can be out-of-phase acoustically due to your listening position.

For surfing, I have found that when you are looking for bass or mid-bass, the tower speakers are often out-of-phase acoustically right in the mid-bass region that is at the bottom-end of the tower speakers' frequency response. If you go to the tower speaker wires and flip the speaker wire positive for negative for all tower speakers you sometimes find that the resposne improves in the low end. When flipping the tower wiring phase, do it at the speakes only, or at the amp only, and not both.

There is no reason not to try this; it costs nothing, will not damage anything, and often will give you better performance. Give it a try and let us know!

Phil
    Kicker