Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Questions for the factory about 2012 Outback

Well I can't shake this slalom bug so I'm contemplating trading the outback V for an outback DD- either that or I have to add a second boat to the family. I would like if I could get one with the new tower that's easier to fold down as I store my boat in my garage so I have fold my tower every time I use my boat. So can anyone from the factory answer these 2 questions?

1) with the tower folded down will the boat clear a 7 foot door?
    2) can you comment at what rope length the tower will interfere with the slalom rope?

Also- can any of you outback owners snap a pic of the rear trunk for me? I'm trying to figure out how storage might work and I can't really gauge the size of that compartment.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

My 2010 Outback would easily clear a 7' door with the tower down - it barely clears 10' with the tower up and light folded down.

I'm curious about why the tower would ever interfere with a slalom rope at any length. On my boat, you would need to swing out so far that you were in front of the ski pylon before you could touch the tower with the rope and even then I'm not sure I'd call it "interfering" - of course, the driver might be a bit irritated that the rope is hitting him on the back of his neck - LOL

I will try to remember to take a pic of my trunk but in mine I routinely keep:
    > a 69" slalom,
    > a combo ski set,
    > a small folding anchor w/ 50' line,
    > additional 100' anchor and misc dock lines,
    > 75' HD Tube rope and 3 ski ropes,
    > 2 rolled beach mats,
    > some misc cleaning supplies

I could probably get another slalom in there if I wanted. I have not tried to put a wakeboard in it so I don't know if it would fit. There is also ski storage along the sides.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

skiyaker seems to be concerned with the 2012 Outback and the new tower, which you can see in the 2012 preview section from the main page. The tower is mounted quite far back behind the windshield and a good amount behind the ski pylon, hence the concern about it interfering with the rope I suspect
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Here is the 2012 Outabck with new tower

outback.jpg
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

skiyaker - I will take a picture and post this weekend, unless someone beats me to the punch. In the meantime, my trunk (gullwing storage area) typically has in it: six life jackets, three pair ski gloves, two tow ropes for tubes, one slalom line w/ handle, one wakeboard line w/ handle, and one pair neoprene crash pants. Still has space for a few more things. I keep skis and boards up and out of the way in racks mounted to the tower. Personal stuff like towels and bags is stored behind the observer's seat on the port side, same place I also store the barefoot boom when not in use. Dock bumpers and lines are stored up front under the bow seats. Outback is a great boat. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post

outback.jpg
    yup that's the one I'm talking about- part of this deal is "you know honey, if we get one with the new tower it would be a lot easier to fold down" but this only holds true if it actually fits in my garage- I've heard of some malibu owners having to remove the rear "hoop" to make this happen. I don't currently ski at a length where that tower would interfere with the rope but my closest ski buddy skis at 28 off and might get into 32 off next year

my wife said the magic words "you're the one who does all the boat work so I trust you if you want to get a different one"

thanks everybody for the rear trunk inventory- it sounds like you can fit enough back there- that's probably what I keep in my rear v drive compartments plus a few pool noodles
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Hah you and me both. I did get a quick set behind an Outback that a guy was selling last weekend. Conditions weren't all that great though. He was more a wakeboarder and had the ballast filled at the start of the day. He emptied it before taking me out for a test but there was still a good bit of water left in the bag, plus some other excess weight (double batteries, bunch of tower speakers & a light bar, and some other things). The water in general was kind of bad too, a little choppy to begin with and then a good amount of chop from other boats. I did a quick pull at 33mph at 15 off, and 28 off just to compare to the OBV. That said even with the extra weight and conditions that didn't really let me try to ski like I wanted to, the 15 off wake was noticably better (though I'm not sure if I'd say it was drastic or not). 28 off was way better as expected, on mine at least there is a pretty big and almost rock hard bump that I gave up on after crossing a couple times. On the outback it was much better and I'm sure if I were a better skier it'd be almost trival. Despite the bad conditions I think it was a decent enough jump that I'd make the change if I can find the right boat or work something out on a new one. Having some issues with my local dealer though.

On the rope, I posted in the other thread that it looks like (from pics & video I found) that it could interefere at 22 off. That's not an official; I'd also like to know if they did any testing for an offical word. For comparison though, look at this pic of the outback compared to a response lxi with the illusion, and how much further forward the tower is mounted on the rxli. I wonder if you were custom ordering, you could request it being moved closer to the windshield? Or order without a tower and put one on yourself.

rxli.jpgoz.jpg

I got the same message from the wife too so I'm gonna try to take advantage, just not sure if I'll end up in an outback or not depending on what I can find/work out.
    Last edited by pmoomba; 10-13-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Not entirely sure, but I think what might be going on is the original illusion folds backwards based on the hinge in that pic, the newer G3 folds forwards. I think the Oz folds forwards too so it might not be feasible to move closer to the windshield.

Actually, that might be the pin and not the hinge so maybe nevermind.
    Last edited by pmoomba; 10-13-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post

outback.jpg
    WTF? I'm not a very good skier, but I would be hitting that tower on nearly every pass. The only reason I know, is that a book I read said to place tape on the gunale where the rope goes on a pass on the course. That way, your observer can give you feedback on your passes when you are not skiing on a course.

Not sure who thought that was a good placement for a tower on a DD boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I have to agree,that tower looks to be mounted too far back and looks like it would definetely interfere.Good skier or not ,that just does not look right????
    07 Outback DD