Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mooring systems

Default Mooring systems

I'm buying a new dock this year and was thinking of buying some of those mooring whips. I know most of you are using lifts but in New England, it's just one more thing to haul in and out of the freezing water. They all seem to have 8 foot lengths that are rated for 20 feet and 2500 lbs and the next size up is 12 feet and made for 5000 lbs. My Ls is 20.5 feet and I would prefer to use the 8 foot ones since they are kind of ugly and I don't want to push the boat too far from the dock. The lake is not very rough, maybe 6 inch swells on a really windy day. I bought some of the stowaway holdaway units last year and they were a miserable failure. Anybody had any luck and what size did you use?

Andy

Default Replying to Topic 'Mooring systems'

If you read the fine print, none of that stuff is meant for long term storage. I have a metal frame and wood deck dock. During the day I us the stretchy dock lines but at night I tie it up. In both cases I use 3-4 good sized bumpers. Slick them up with 303 if you want. This is usually a 2-4 day gig. I do not leave the boat in long term. I use quick disconnects on the bumpers and number them to get the right bumper in the right place.

FYI I also have bumpers tied permanently to the metal frame. Five years, never had one stolen – knock on wood.

If the lake is calm like you say, the bumper bounce will not hurt a thing. If it is not, bumpers are better then breaking free IMHO.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

I tie it at 3 pts.-one at each cleat (fendered) then a stretchy from a far side cleat to a mooring ball. This holds it away from the dock unless you get a stiff breeze off the ball.

I didn't realize the whips are not for long term. They don't seem to mention that in any of the advdertising. I used the bumpers last year and they started to rub off the vinyl graphics on the side of the boat. I do leave the boat in all summer and yes it does get slimy on the bottom. I never had a problem with blistering on my previous I/O's and haven't had one yet on the Moomba. I think if I had to deal with taking it in and out every couple of days, I'd probably would get a pontoon boat instead! This year with the reconfigured new dock , I will be able to put the boat on the other side which will be better since the prevailing winds would pull the boat away from the dock. I like the idea of a stretchy line going to a mooring ball and will give that a try.

Andy

I'm new to decals on a boat. I gues I will have to watch that. I may also try a third rope on teh other side to shore.

SD2

To me, if you're going to keep your boat in the water all summer, the best way to keep it from banging against the dock is to get a boat lift. They make all kinds of different configurations, for boathouses or for slips at a marina and for personal use and a private dock. This alleviates any algae and keeps your boat from getting bounced around in rough water. It will definitely cost more, but to me there is no other way to go.

If you live with ice you have to pull the lift every year. Been there done that. Back breaking event.

SD2

Andy,
    I have been using the dock whips for about 4 years and would use nothing else. No more scratches from bumping up against the dock. I don't care how soft the edge is, it's gonna do something to the finish.
    Couple of things I've learned.... I don't know what your lake is like, but our level fluctuates throughout the season. You need to keep an eye on the tension at the whips. As the level goes down, it puts more preload on the fibreglass especially near the end where the material is the thinnest. I have to adjust mine several times over the season.
    The manufacturer also recommends diagonal static lines as well as the front and rear stay lines. I did not do this because I didn't want the lines rubbing on my very costly replacement cover and I also didn't want to cut the cover and sew in access to the pop-up cleats. I have had no problems with the front and rear stay lines. My guess is that if we had a lot of wakes rolling in we may have a problem, but my dock is close to a no- wake zone.
    I know exactly what you mean about the boat lift. My dock is on wheels and it's still a pain in the ass come fall and spring. (still not in the water yet). I definately recommend the whips. Money well spent.

Dave

What size and brand do you use? Also, where do you attach them the the boat?

Andy

Andy, I use the 8' from Overtons. At the front I attach to the bow eye (where the trailer cable connects). I cover the line and snap swivel with an old tube sock to prevent scratches. At the rear I use the transom eye for which ever side is closest to the dock(typically the driver's side). I use another sock to prevent rubbing through the cover at the rubrail. My cover does not cover the platform, so the eyes are exposed.
    I've seen some boats whipped at the pop-up cleats, but I didn't want to get into modifying the cover.
    Dave