Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default paging Dr. Brian

My baby knows I looked at another women a (05) and now she is getting me back for being unfaithful.I susupect I have a fuel line issue as I am not getting any fuel pumped to my carb. pump is producing pressure I took some time to clean lines from fuel filter to carb and they are ok. I will be replacing my fuel filter tomorrow. I was able to blow thru filter and planning on adding a fuel water seperator this week. I suspect the line from the filter to the tank has some type of issue. can you tell me if there is an antisiphon or other part at the tank?. I am going to be cleaning my trunk interior this week and will have the panels removed for easy tank inspection and work, and no I do not use any balast or have any heavy weight in my trunk. Thanks for any insight you can shed.I even gave her 2 complete washings another coat of wax this weekend and she is still mad.
    thanks
    chris
    CS

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Replying to Topic 'paging Dr. Brian'

Chris, always wear shades when checking out others, this will (sometimes) fool them. Verify that you are getting batt. voltage at the red wire on the fuel pump during cranking or running conditions. If not, the oil press/fuel pump switch located port, under the distributor, may be at fault. There is a anti-siphon valve for the fuel intake on top of the tank. I would first verify my batt. voltage at the pump, if it is good, then, disconnect the fuel line at the pump and suck, if gas is easily obtained (be careful when doing this, and never swallow), connect the hose back to the fuel pump. If you have a hard time retrieving fuel, check for any kinks or blocked areas along the line. I do not recommend a fuel/water seperator, they tend to create a vapor lock condition on warm days. You can also contact; [email protected] for other insights if these don't work. Keep us posted. Brian Raymond

Brian thanks for the quick reply. I broke rule #1 I didnt just look at the menu I touched.oooh I'm so screwed. Today was our first over 80 degree day and I though some type of vapor lock ? I just replaced my fuel pump switch know this well.Have 12 volts at pump and pressure.As I was out on the water when I did my trouble shooting ( had to be towed) I didnt really feel like a mouth fuel of gas or any type of even minor gas spills in the bilge. I will check the tank feed tomorrow when I remove the trunk interior. Can you shed some more light on the vapor lock issue with the water fuel sep.?dont want to add something to her until I get her trust back.

chris
    CS

I just ran into this.......the anti siphon valve at the top of the fuel tank stuck shut........took it to the dealer who promptly knocked the ball out............works like a champ.......hope this helps
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

The dealer just knocked out the ball.I thought this was a USCG required item in case a back fire in the carb,the fire does not go into the tank.Any thoughts Brian.Just curious.
    John

And now that you mention it, I'd be curious to know if it was a 'legal fix', also.
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I am thinking no way legal.
    John

Well I spent a few hours tonight and have come to the painful conclusion it is my fuel pump.IT has 12 volts, it runs but I dont believe it has enough suction to pump.Was able to get fuel by that age old method.I did remove the antisiphon valve and still not able to get fuel with the pump as a test. Brian can you tell me does this pump have to be primed first or should it be able to draw fuel directly ?I think I know the answer so Brian who at Skiers can I order one from ?

chris
    CS

Brian Raymond Guest

The spring held ball is there for a reason. If you were to ever encounter a ruptured or cut fuel line, it wll only drain the gas from the line, and not the tank. However, since the fuel line is lower than the tank, and a incident occurs without the anti-siphon valve, fuel will continually fill the bilge until the tank is empty. This may result in what could be a major catastrophe. I highly suggest you take your boat back to the dealer and have a new valve installed. I have experienced some valves to be faulty, if this is a diagnosis, LET THE DEALER DO IT. You do not want the reprocussions if it is not done correctly. You can prime the system without continuous cranking. When the pump makes a high pitched squeal, ther is probably air in the line. This sound will help troubleshooting if familiar with it. On the 3 pronged oil press./fuel pump swicth, with the key in the on (not start) pos., use a jumper wire from the purple to the red lead. The pump will buzz and you will here it bog down when full of fuel. On the 2 pos. sender, jump the purple to the red/orange lead. The main cause of pump failure is sludge fuel (not properly stabilized at winterization), and air. These pumps are available through your dealer or Indmar. Keep us posted. Brian Raymond

Brian, I removed the antisiphon only for testing its is back in and seems to function. I was able to move the small ball with a rubber tipped screw driver so I dont believe that is the problem.I did jump the fuel pump and ran for aprox 30 seconds and it did not seem to draw any fuel to the filter. I removed my metal cased filter and installed a see thru cased filter again just for testing and fuel was not coming to the filter with the pump.
    I also trid to pressure fill the tank with air in hopes of seeing any fuel at the filter when running the pump but to no avail. Brian how long should the pump run to prime?Right now it makes the high pitched fast bb rattle sound and has virtually no input suction but some output pressure . and since I'm back there can you tell me the recommended trim
    tab fluid?

thanks chris
    CS