Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default skiing behind the outback V?

hi, new to the forum and former boomerang owner..looking for a new (used) boat. i need one that is more family friendly and able to do some recreational wakeboarding and surfing..nothing fancy..i am a skier..basic rec..22-24 off at 32-34 mph..how possible is this from the outback v? anyone ski behind this boat? i know the direct outback is better for skiing, can it build a surf wake, without sacs everywhere? the v has a nice friendly interior..any insight will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rainfly View Post
    hi, new to the forum and former boomerang owner..looking for a new (used) boat. i need one that is more family friendly and able to do some recreational wakeboarding and surfing..nothing fancy..i am a skier..basic rec..22-24 off at 32-34 mph..how possible is this from the outback v? anyone ski behind this boat? i know the direct outback is better for skiing, can it build a surf wake, without sacs everywhere? the v has a nice friendly interior..any insight will be appreciated.
    I can not comment on the Outback V but until about a year ago SC made an LS model that was the same hull as the LSV but in a direct drive configuration. It is a roomy boat that has built in ballast under the rear seat for wakeboarding and surfing and the wake for slalom skiing is pretty good too. We often surf and go down the slalom course on the same day. There are no bags as the tank is plastic and under the rear seat so it doesn't get in the way. We store 4 slalom skis, 2 kneeboards, a surfboard and a set of pairs skis and the only thing you will see if the surf board sitting on its side behind the drivers seat. With the wakeplate down and the ballast empty we are on the ski course every weekend. If you are interested look for one that has the Z5 bimini top as that provides storage also.

Go with the 06 to 08 OBV or a pre 06 LSV same hull you can do all three, I surf board and ski.. Skiayker runs a course behind his 08 OBV.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

the Outback V can be found in 2 hull models - from 2006 to 2008, the Outback V hull was the prior year's LSV hull and can provide a nice, recreational slalom wake as well as decent wakeboard wakes and surf waves without a lot of hassle. In 2009 the current hull design was introduced and touted as the best all-around watersports boat. You'll be good with either choice based on what you have described are your objectives.

I have a 07 obv and had the chance to ride behind a mastercraft x7 which was a dd I was surprised that the wake on my boat at 34 Is not as bad as I thought when compared to a dd boat I would say before buying anything I would take a pull behind the boat dd or V drive
    2007 Outback V

Hi there welcome to the forum. I can speak for the 2008 and earlier obv hull. I've skied behind the boomerang and the OBV isn't nearly as good- but it's more than adequate for recreational skiing especially at 22 off. I'm a member of a ski club where people bring their own boats and usually there is a slalom boat or two so I've gotten to ski behind a lot of boats, but when there's not slalom boat there I'll ski the course behind mine. I would say it's not as good as the true "slalom tractors" but I would put it on par with larger DDs like the malibu sunsetter. Right now on the course I ski 28-30 mph at 15 off which is a challenge behind my boat- but in open water when I speed it up to 32-34 mph and shorten to 22 off it's pretty fun to ski behind. here are pics of the wake 32 mph

Where are you located?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I own a 2010 OBV and I am very happy with it. We ski, wakeboard, kneeboard, and tube behind it. The wake is a little bigger than a DD, but it is still very skiable.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by rainfly View Post
    So I gotta know - where do you find a rope with a 24 off loop?
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    So I gotta know - where do you find a rope with a 24 off loop?
    well let's see- if I take the 38 off section and add the 15 foot section back to it- that's 23 off no? how can we get to 24 off?
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    well let's see- if I take the 38 off section and add the 15 foot section back to it- that's 23 off no? how can we get to 24 off?
    Easy, as you said take off 38 add back 15 then tie a loop a foot into the rope and use that loop at the pylon, tada 24 off give or take a few inches based on how accurate you tied the new loop...

EDIT: Or perhaps it is grasping the handle in ones elbows instead of hands that accounts for the extra foot off?
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V