Threaded View

Default Thinking about re-building my sub enclosure; opinions wanted...

Right now I have 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L7 10's; one is under the drivers dash, and one is behind the spotters seat, both in sealed enclosures.

I'm thinking that I'd like to make some changes, and figured I'd see what you guys think about the 2 options I'm considering...

Option 1: I'd say this is the preferred option, as it utilizes existing equipment, potentially just a better configuration.
    Rebuild a slightly larger enclosure and put both 10" L7's under the dash. I figure I can get around 1.6 cubic feet under there, which would be great for the 10's sealed. Not quite enough space to utilize a ported enclosure.

Option 2:While I'm not married to the L7's, they have been a phenomenal speaker so far, so I don't have a lot of reason to change - unless of course Brian @Exile wants to send me something to help promote the brand here in MI LOL!
    Rebuild a slightly larger enclosure and replace the 10" L7 with a 12", either sealed or ported. I've never used ported in a boat, so I'm not sure if I'd experience better performance or not, vs. the current 2x 10s that are sealed. Power is not an issue, as I have a ZX1000.1 to power the sub(s), it seems like sealed would be the "safer" choice in a marine environment; thoughts?

Goals:
    • Save Space; right now having 2 subs in completely different areas of the boat seems like a poor use of the limited storage space that I have. Using just the area under the dash is the best bet, both for sound and taking advantage of 'unused' space
    • Improve Sound Quality / Volume; this one is pretty subjective. I think that the 2 10's right now sound great and are incredibly loud, but I also think that I'm pushing them pretty hard (especially the one in the compartment; its pretty muffled back there)

Also, I'm planning to use King Starboard rather than MDF and Fiberglass, which I have done with the last few boxes I've built. Some questions regarding that:
    • Should I go with 3/4" which seems to be the standard when using MDF, or do I need thicker / thinner?
    • Is King Starboard the best to use, or is there something different that is better suited for this type of job?
    • What is a good source? I've google'd around, and looked on eBay, pricing seems pretty standard everywhere. I have a local distributor as well.
    • Can I cut it with my table saw?
    • Can I use a nail gun and glue, or screws?
    • What kind of glue do you use?
    Last edited by ian ashton; 09-28-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    2013 Outback V