Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ski purchase

Default ski purchase

I am a beginner to intermidiate skier. I currently ski on an O'brien World Team and I am considering purchasing a new ski for this year. I only free ride but still want to rip. The problem is I can't try the ski before I buy. I am considering the Connelly F3 Concept, O'brien Siege. I would consider other brands or models. I want to move up in performance. I would appreciate your opinion.

Default F3 Connelly

We got an F3 a few weeks ago and haven't got to try it yet.

We tried the F1 last year and it was much too squirley for us. You could lay it down really far, but it was tricky to hold it straight if you wanted to cruise a little. The F3 looks like it doesn't have the radical concave of the F1, so I think it will cut good plus give us a chance to rest going straight also.

Our F3 has a double boot set-up, so that will help with real deep cuts. We got a blem, so we saved a lot, and the blem was a little chip out of the top surface of the ski near the fin - no problem and worth $110 savings.

Last year we also borrowed an older Obrien Team ski ( not sure which intermediate model )-- its shape worked real good also but it didn't have the second boot.

Be careful of the little wing on the fin of either ski, cause they rip the heck out of the vinyl seats. Got a ski bag with the F3 to protect us from the ski!

Default Which ski to buy

Most good dealers should let you buy a ski and then exchange it if you don't like it. Just make sure you keep it in good shape.
    And ask them before you buy.

Check ski magazines for reviews depending on your style of skiing, arc or hook-and-pull.

Most of your quicker turning skis do not like to go straight so they normally feel a little snakey in the bubbles. Don't let that drive your choice.

I would avoid the really expensive top end skis. I don't think they are worth it for most recreational skiers.
    Got to Ski Limited or Overtons and see what they recommend for skiing ability.

I think dual boots are over rated. I currently ski at 15 off at 32-34 mph and have not felt the need for them yet. But who knows, maybe if I tried it I would love it...
    A lot of non-tournament boats have a hard time pulling a bigger person out of the water with both feet in.

As far as the wing goes. If you do not know about deceleration then you could probably take it off. If you are still skiing on long line you definitely do not need it.

Good luck
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Default Connelly F3

Finally have some miles on the F3. Good ride, good cutting capability. It'll do more than my skill level.

Bindings are pretty tight ( stokers ). Using lube to get into them.

Is there any way to break the bindings in besides using them...?

I went on faith and bought a f3. Our weather has not been too good this year so I have not been able to ride it as much as I would like to. So far I seem to be able to hold a better edge crossing the wake but my turns are not as good. I think this is simply not being used to the ski yet. I will report back toward the end of summer.

Do you think its an improvement over the Obrien?

Yes, it is defintely an improvement. I just need to adjust my style some. Let me correct that. I need to improve some. I'm a beginner to a very low intermidiate skier. I need more time on the water and I need to correct some problems with my technique.

You can stretch out new bindings by taking them off the ski and soaking them in HOT water with 20oz coke bottles inserted in them. Be sure you have the binding straps set to the largest size before you resort to this measure.
    2006 Outback V

Thanks for the help on the bindings. They're XL but they hurt.
    Then again, I don't stay in em very long before getting worn out, anyway.

I'm going to try removing that little cross fin, its on a steep angle and seems to make the ski drag in the water...

Default F3 and foil

The "cross fin" you mention is actually a hydrofoil (or foil). It is designed to slow the ski down when you shift your wieght forward in the pre-turn. You don't actually need to remove the foil, just adjust the angle to be less severe, like the first or second angle indicator.

If you are still sking long line and under 32 mph you probably do not need it. If you are not skiing a course on a regular basis you may not need it either. But if you switch to shorter rope (I highly recommend 15 off) and get up around 32-36 you are going to find it somewhat useful. You just need to be prepared for the sudden change in speed or you will go head first over the ski. Once you complete the turn, and start the pull on your edge, the wing has little effect. Take video and see if you can get your front foot in the water when you make your turns. If you do this and have a strong pull and good angulation you are going to need the braking effect the foil gives you in your next turn.

Have fun
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off