Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission Fluid in the Hull

I have a 2009 Outback V and went to start wintertizing the boat yesterday. Found some pink stuff in the hull under where the V drive oil is that looks like transmission fluid. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Couldnt find where it could have been leaking, but the transmission was almost bone dry. Really hope I don't have to replace the transmission.

Trans is pretty tuff and i know last year mine was pretty low at the end of the season and i never found or saw a leak. Your going to need to wipe the trans down really good with a quality cleaner. Then get some white paper towels and wrap it around the bottom and sides. Then check it every week or sooner if the leak is there to see where its comming from. Id expect a seal but no telling.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianstyle808 View Post
    I have a 2009 Outback V and went to start wintertizing the boat yesterday. Found some pink stuff in the hull under where the V drive oil is that looks like transmission fluid. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Couldnt find where it could have been leaking, but the transmission was almost bone dry. Really hope I don't have to replace the transmission.
    Have you ever had the tranny serviced???? did they clean the filter screen???? fill her like above and put paper towels on the floor or around taped in place like above to determine where the leak is. Could be screen cover ,but could be a tranny cooler line , or maybe the tranny cooler itself, but would expect water in the tranny if it was the cooler.

When was the last time you checked the fluid levels......you should do this periodically during the summer......
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

This is my second season with it and I normally take it to the dealer to winterize it. I guess I assummed they would check that stuff for me. Haven't been checking the fluid levels on my own at all this year. Will be more vigilant about fluids now that I know.

Might be a silly question but can I run the boat with the paper towels around the transmission or would that be a fire hazard? Anyone know the cost associated with the cooler line, tranny cooler, or screen?

Thanks for all you help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianstyle808 View Post
    This is my second season with it and I normally take it to the dealer to winterize it. I guess I assummed they would check that stuff for me. Haven't been checking the fluid levels on my own at all this year. Will be more vigilant about fluids now that I know.

Might be a silly question but can I run the boat with the paper towels around the transmission or would that be a fire hazard? Anyone know the cost associated with the cooler line, tranny cooler, or screen?

Thanks for all you help guys.
    No, no fire hazard. I would not worry about the cooler, cooler lines, or screen they should be fine......if they did a service on the tranny and cleaned the screen then maybe they did not tighten the bolts enough and thats your leak. its tricky to clean the screen but not difficult...the engine does not have to be pulled.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....Vdrive-Service

09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

hello same thing on my 08 outback v check you trim reservoir fluid level. found my line to the left shock leaking at the line pulled tightend refilled with fluid added dish soap and hot water drove around town a little, flushed out system good as new. hope that helps you

oh yeah by the way it uses trans fluid any brand works fine & fill with tabs completely retracted.

Anyone know what the warranty is on the transmission and if its covered under the engine warranty?

Ok this is starting to look suspicious.........is the tranny not working, if you have been getting it serviced at the dealer, you should take it back to them asap.......are you the original owner of the boat? Did you buy it from a dealer? If you bought the boat brand new I would expect you to have the paperwork and know the warranty issue. Sorry to be blunt but things don't sound right here.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

I am the original owner of the boat and bought it from the dealer. We bought it in 2010 but it was a 2009 model and the dealer couldnt find most of the manuals which is why I didnt know about the warranty. Needless to say we contacted the dealer yesterday and they told us it was still under warranty thankfully. We are taking it over to them this weekend. Thank you everyone for all you help.