Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Skiers Choice Engineers

First off, I have a confession to make... I dont own a Moomba. Im actually a 17 year old senior in high-school. But my dad does have a moomba, and since Im the one who found the boat and am in charge of all its upgrades and such, I have the account. And Im not going to lie, its become a bit of an addiction. Hope you guys dont mind.

Anyways, being a senior, Ive started thinking more about my future lately. Im fairly sure that Ill going into mechanical engineering and I cant think of anything Id rather do than design wakeboats. I cant count how many times Ive been told to find a job I truly enjoy, and I know that would be it.

However, Ive been doing some research and Im really not finding anything. Is it just one of those having to know the right people things? How would you go about getting started? Is this even a realistic goal? Any thoughts, input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    '06 Outback V

Over at ballofspray.com (forums seem somewhat busted at the moment) there's an ongoing thread by a naval architecture student, wanting to design a better slalom boat. You might try sending him a message to get a perspective from someone a little closer to the field.

http://ballofspray.vanillaforums.com...esign-ideas/p1

I joined this forum well before I bought my Mobius... I think anyone that has something to share or add is a welcomed member. Besides... you kinda own one indirectly. Can't help with the college thing... but glad to hear young folks still aspire to worthwhile goals! Good luck,
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Hey, that's my previous boat, literally! Sounds like you are enjoying it.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Study up on the meaning of "internship". That's one path to doing what you want to do.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Study up on the meaning of "internship". That's one path to doing what you want to do.
    Echo on that, just graduated college a few months ago with 4 internships. They got me further "in the real world" than any college class (although I still needed the degree) did. Try to get information from companies you would be interested in. The worst they say is "No, we don't hire interns" You might not hear back or get no useful information from 9-10 places, but you only need one

You will be a Moomba owner sooner than you think, just bought half of one just before my 22nd birthday.
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

i think getting a job in the wakeboat field as an engineer would be kind of hard but an awesome accomplishment. This is just such a small total industry that I dont see them recuiting alot of new engineers.

You could always go oilfield, we are always hiring engineers haha
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by trebor-75 View Post
    Anyways, being a senior, Ive started thinking more about my future lately. Im fairly sure that Ill going into mechanical engineering and I cant think of anything Id rather do than design wakeboats. I cant count how many times Ive been told to find a job I truly enjoy, and I know that would be it.

However, Ive been doing some research and Im really not finding anything. Is it just one of those having to know the right people things? How would you go about getting started? Is this even a realistic goal? Any thoughts, input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    If you go to www.skierschoice.com they have the following note:

Employment Opportunities
    The Skier’s Choice manufacturing facility is located in Maryville, Tennessee in the Blount County Industrial Park. For employment opportunities visit the company or contact our office at the number shown below. Skier’s Choice is an equal opportunity employer

Voice 865.983.9924

I don't know if a visit is an option for you but I'd be surprised that if you called there wouldn't be someone in Human Resources who could give you some info - and maybe hook you up with one of the actual engineers for a chat. Other boat companies would probably do the same and some of them might even have an online careers or employment link. Colleges with appropriate degree programs could help too - would it be mechanical engineering or naval architecture?

The BEST of luck to you - I'm an electrical engineer (mostly high tech electronics and software) and after 30 years in the field I still get up every morning looking forward to going to work.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

Shoot, looks like you even have a reference now.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

ditto on finding what you love doing, and also, even more so on the intership. That can make a huge difference! It has gotten me a long ways! I'm now 36, and also enjoy my job. I'm not a mechical engineer, but a mechanical designer. I use NX software for CAD (solid modeling & making drawings) and CAM (writing CNC programs from my models at my computer), and also get to do some CNC programming (controlling a milling machine or lathe by computer instead of hand). I do some manual machining too and love it. I didn't get my bachelors, but have an associates. I'm now almost peaked out, and see myself unfortunately having to go back to school in the next couple years

Anyways, call some manufacturers (Malibu, Nautique, MC, etc.) and talk to engineers or HR and inquire about jobs, interships, and where they do hire their engineerrs from (what schools have good programs for that). The only one I see lots of advertisements looking for engineering type jobs is Mercury Marine. They are almost always hiring, in FL and WI usually. Try not to limit yourself too awful much at first; i'd recommend focusing more on getting your foot into the industry at first than making sure you can get into the exact company you think you want to work for at this time. Don't get me wrong, try with where you want first, but don't get too hung up on it if things dn't work out is all I'm saying.

Oh, and who cares if you're 17. Just don't post a bunch of immature stuff like a 7 year old and it's all good Welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by rc5695; 10-21-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: clarification/spelling
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)