Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Boat Suggestions and thoughts please

I currently have a 1991 Sunbird Corsair, 19ft cuddy with a 4.3 I/O OMC Cobra. I am an avid slalom skiier and am looking to upgrade to a more specialized ski boat, which is also newer and more reliable. I am considering a direct drive ski boat, in the $20,000 to $25,000 (Canadian) range and wanted suggestions. To buy a Mastercraft, Malibu or Correct Craft (ski nautique) in that price range, I would have to go as far back as a 1999 to 2002 model. If I am prepared to buy a Moomba, I can go closer to a 2005 model or so. I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others, but at my skill level and needs, I would be prepared to do it, provided that the boat is RELIABLE.

So my question is, because I am very concerned about reliability, should I opt for the Moomba (which is newer) or am I better off with an older model from the "big three".
    And how far back should I go, if I want to minimize any reliabilty issues? Ideally, I would stay in the 5 years or less range, but this will be very expensive for a ski boat.

One more question re: direct drives - this is my first one, and I like the fact that I can currently trim up my I/O in shallow water. There is one area of the lake which is shallow (my sister's dock) and I would need to go there periodically - what is the minimum depth I would be able to go (very slowly) with a direct drive that cannot be trimmed up?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others
    maybe in price friend but there's a lot of $$ wrapped up in paying for a name. I'd buy another Moomba in a heartbeat and would be more likely to look at another Moomba than another brand after owning one.

Although I have a V-drive my boat is 10yrs old and more reliable than any other vehicle I've owned. This partly comes from proper care and feeding (aka maintenance).

Although there will be an advertised draft on any boat you look at I'd suggest about 3ft as the absolute minimum to idle through and only if it's a sandy bottom! I wouldn't do that in a rocky place. Variations on the bottom, rocks/logs, waves, etc. could cause problems. I'll get out and push from the swim platform rather than take my chances in the shallows.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'm kinda taken back - you actually on the moomba forum stating that Moomba's are inferior? Bells and wistles cost extra and add to the price. It has nothing to do with "reliability". Figure out what's more important to you.....all the creature comforts that come at a cost, or functionality and affordability. There is a reason that the slogan is "NO WORRIES, Just Enjoy". No worrying about making the next payment
    I love my Outback and tournament quality slalom wake. Main issue for me is my current boat is getting small for my family/friends, and the local SC dealer is a flake. These are the ONLY reasons I would buy a new boat and consider a different brand.
    As far as shallow operation. I'd say you could run wide open in 4-5ft. of water. Although I wouldn't recommend it!! The tracking fins and prop aren't any more than 18-24inches below the bottom of the hull.

One thing is for certain. Once you go direct or V-drive.........you'll never go back!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by toronto boater View Post
    I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others
    Ohhhhh, them's fighting words 'round here! Especially when coming from a guy with a Sunbird.

Just kidding w/ ya but I agree with what Berg stated. Also, take a close look at the components like the engine, tranny, etc that are keys to your goal of being reliable and you will find little difference between the brands you have listed. You may also want to look at an '06 or newer Moomba which, I believe, is the year the motors switched over to EFI vs carb.

Keep asking questions and we'll help you out.

I've got a boat similar to Berg's - 2000 MobiusV. We were a little hesitant with shallow water as my old boat was a pure outboard that could trim up (I even busted the trim motor a few years back since I loaded the back up and hit the bottom) - but so far (fingers crossed) we haven't done any visible damage to the prop. I'm much more careful with a new boat! Depth finder reports the dept as low as 2.7 feet going through some of the channels, but the lake bottom is sandy/muck and rocky areas are pretty visible to avoid. Launching from our permanent dock is a little nervous since we always turn up so much muck throwing it in reverse, but after we got the boat out of the water I didn't notice any damage to the prop. The first few times we paddled it out some distance (gotta baby the new boat! wish i had pictures of us doing that the first time), but over time I think we will be more confident. There are other inboards (mastercraft/malibu) parked a few feet from our dock and they just gun it in reverse as well - I can't imagine its much deeper where they are. The lakes are pretty clean and free of debris which helps also.

As far as reliability goes, I think each boat can give you a different experience. We got a ours with 500+ hours on it but it started like a champ every weekend this summer. As far as I know the engine is the same make (indmar) as a friend's malibu, so that's some food for thought. The previous owner took good care of it as far as I can tell.

I'm still learning things, but it sounds like you are in a similar situation as I was earlier this year. (Although we are trying to get more into wakeboarding than skiing with a little kneeboarding on the side) We hunted for any kind of boat (we aren't brand buyers) but the best deal we found after a month of searching was a moomba, and so far we are happy with it. I'm sure you will find similar stories with other brands, just try to find something that fits you. For us it was this 2000 moomba mobius v.

(BTW we started with an '89 forester evinrude 80 HP outboard, so it was quite a leap for us
    2000 Mobius V

You will find the same engine (Indmar) in MC, Bu and Moomba. Electronics are slightly different on each, but there is no reason to think any will have better or worse reliability than the other. CC uses PCM, but they still provide the same reliability.
    Coming from an I/O, the wake and skiability of dedicated inboards will be vastly superior to your boat.

I will ski in known areas of 42" of water. Using an in and out of gear approach, I will go until the skegs make contact. Slowly.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

2 Moomba's since 03--no issues= no worries
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

where we ride when the water is full there is a channel to get from a cove to the river and under normal condtions the water is 3 feet deep in that channel. in july we were going thru there with the water down a foot, turned up a trail a muck behind the boat but that was it. it was all very very sandy solft silt. you stand in it and you sink up to your thighs. we wakeboarding in 4-5 ft of water before, didnt like doing it and i was nervous as hell but it is possible
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I think anyone who purchased a used Moomba probably looked at the other boat options either getting an older one or spend more money. I opted for the newer Moomba and never regretted it. At 13 years old, my boat only had one problem and that was the engine water pump failed this year.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I am an owner of an '03 Outback. I have been nothing but happy with my boat. I agree with points previously mentioned. Same compainies provide the hardware, (example; Indmar engines, Walters Vdrives, OJ props) used by the other big name boat builders as what Moomba uses. Assuming for slalom skiing, you are looking for a direct drive, you would be looking at an Outback. The current hull dates back to the 2003 model. Minor cosmetic changes over the years.

Moomba in not an inferrior product, just less "bling" to lower cost. If you go newer you can get fuel injection vs carb. Newer electric speed pick up, paddle wheel vs pitot tube. Newer will also get you all fiberglass construction, no wood stringers as in older boats.

As for depth, can get pretty shallow when idling. I would say 2-3 ft. Your I/O probably is still drafting more water than my DD even when trimmed up.

Good luck in your boat search.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer