Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiking

Default Hiking

Need opinions on hiking shoes.

The end of this month I plan to hike from the 8,200' base elevation of a ski resort to an elevation of about 11,400' and back down. The length of the round trip walk will be about 18,000' (9,000' X2). The entire distance of the hike will be groomed ski trail. Some terrain will be steep going up and coming down, but no rock climbing or anything like that. It'll be just my wife and me. Not a group thing where I have to keep up with people.

I have a pair of training shoes for running that I am inclined to use for the hike. But having never tried this kind of hike, wonder if I will regret wearing running instead of hiking shoes. I'm cheap, so if there is no material gain with hiking shoes, I'll take a pass on spending the money. On the other hand, if it makes the outing more enjoyable and help prevent ankle or foot injury, then I'll spend the money.

Some of you guys are pretty experienced with the outdoors, so please let me know your thoughts on this. If you think a pair of hiking shoes is the way to go, please tell me what to look for or avoid in a shoe.

My wife already has a pair of hiking shoes. Our destination is Beaver Creek's Birds of Prey downhill course.

Thanks. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Asked a very knowledgeable buddy and he recommended these....

http://www.backcountry.com/salewa-fi...king-shoe-mens

Said they were the best buy for the money and since they went on sale on this website were the best buy out there he had found. He said these were for someone who just needed a solid hiking shoe that would easily last 3 years with light to medium hiking. When I asked him what heavy hiking would be, he said that he would consider it heavy hiking when you start talking about really rough terrain. Lots of loose rocks etc... He said for any length he would consider getting a top tier shoe. He told me these particular shoes could very well last many years if you were not planning on doing heavy hiking.

Also said that the sidewalls of running shoes make them a bad idea for hiking. He said he recommends at least a hiking specific shoe regardless of brand if you were thinking about doing any sort of real incline or decline.

Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by WaterBullDawg1980; 09-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

My opinion...
    I've hiked some nasty stuff in running shoes (Class 3, 14k+ feet). If you do it all the time running shoes won't hold up, but for the occasional trip they are great. Biggest advantages: cheap (you probably already own them), already broken in, lightweight, flexibility (personal preference)

Hiking shoes are better IF you use them a lot and get them broken in, otherwise they are just a recipe for sore feet/blisters.
    Advantages: durability, stability (personal preference), ankle support/protection (if you get boots)

Hey Deerfield, Are these pretty much for one hike?? Re-reading it now I obviously had no reason to assume they were going to be used to hike often or even again! Unless the incline is a rocky and rough one, save the cash and lace up your New Balances.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Stuart....

you definetly want some light weight, gore tex lined boots.

You don't have to go full blown boots, you can get mid height ones that are made very similar to running shoes, and almost as light.

You need the protection from banging your feet into stuff - especially the toes and your arches will thank you

My favorite brands are Merrill and Vasque.

Heck, My wife and I have several pairs if you want to borrow some

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    The end of this month I plan to hike from the 8,200' base elevation of a ski resort to an elevation of about 11,400' and back down.
    so this will be before the snow, well it has already snowed this year down to 10k', but that is gone now, not likely to have snow on the ground at that time of year, but when i look out my office window i can see snow still hanging on Mt Evans, Pikes Peak, Longs Peak down to about 13k.

The length of the round trip walk will be about 18,000' (9,000' X2).
    this will be about 3.5 miles, for the way i think. i do a lot of mountain trail running (10-30mpw). also, you will be ascending 3200 feet in 1.7 miles. this is very steep. i would guess around 2+ hours for the ascent, but i don't know what kind of shape you are in, and the fact you are coming from low to high elevation. the trekking poles might be pretty helpful for both up and down.

The entire distance of the hike will be groomed ski trail. Some terrain will be steep going up and coming down, but no rock climbing or anything like that.
    i have not been on this trail, but usually the ski resort trails are well established and maintained. they usually have mtn bikers that bomb down hill.

It'll be just my wife and me. Not a group thing where I have to keep up with people.
    this make a nice pleasant hike, it should be fun, the end of September is usually a good time to see our fall colors, but they are primarily yellow aspen, and red /brown beetle kill pine trees.

I have a pair of training shoes for running that I am inclined to use for the hike. But having never tried this kind of hike, wonder if I will regret wearing running instead of hiking shoes. I'm cheap, so if there is no material gain with hiking shoes, I'll take a pass on spending the money. On the other hand, if it makes the outing more enjoyable and help prevent ankle or foot injury, then I'll spend the money.
    for this trail, given that is is likely a well established hiking trail that will be well maintained, i might just use the road shoes. Ed and the others hit it good with the problem of the road shoes, the shoe is soft and flexible and there is no toe protection. also, the tread on the road shoes will not grip very well on the steep down hill, the poles will help here.

if you are really inclined to get anything, maybe get some trail running shoes. you can use these later for your running in the winter time as well. the sole will be more rigid, there will be some toe protection, they don't really cost alot, and you can use them more.

Some of you guys are pretty experienced with the outdoors, so please let me know your thoughts on this. If you think a pair of hiking shoes is the way to go, please tell me what to look for or avoid in a shoe.

My wife already has a pair of hiking shoes. Our destination is Beaver Creek's Birds of Prey downhill course.

Thanks. - Deerfield
    this sound fun, let me know if you want to go for a water ski as well. we could get out before you go up the mountain, or on your way down, then you can say you skied in CO.
    my rec for shoes for this 4 hours tour:
    trail running shoes
    moderate aggressive tread (Ed's Merrill or Vasque have some decent shoe) kind of cross over shoes between hiking, running, etc
    decent toe protection
    your feet will likely swell a bit from the elevation, if you buy new, consider this to help avoid blisters.

just my thoughts, willing to share a few more too.
    thanks
    todd
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

and do keep in mind that you most likely will be stepping off trail to relieve yourself.

If the snow is deep, you may end up with wet feet.

AND even though this is a short hike...take along a compass and something to start a fire with. These items will save your life.

Guys - I appreciate your insight and advice. Went online and found a place near the resort from which I can rent walking sticks for the two of us. Regarding shoes, this weekend I will visit REI, Sports Authority, and the discount store. If I can find a pair that are comfortable and fit well, I will buy. Otherwise, I'll make due with the running shoes and hope for the nest. I like to take pictures so will post up when we get back. We return on the 30th of September. Thanks! - Stuart

yearround - I would love to water ski, but maybe I can save your offer for another time? We arrive Denver airport Tuesday afternoon and head straight to the mountain. First stop is Breckenridge to knock around main street and then west to our favorite Starbucks across the street from Copper. We check in Tuesday evening at Beaver. Friday morning we check out, stopping (again) at Breckenridge to kick around main street on the way to the airport. Love Colorado! - Stuart
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Stick with REI. They know the outdoors and employ people who actually camp and hike.

Sports Authority sells junk, and your taking advice from a teenager who's parents forced him away from his video games to get any kind of a job.

Another thing to consider, don't wear anything made of cotton.

Stu, you guys have a great time. Looks like I'm going to miss you. You won't miss the Chicago weather though. Looks like 50s-low 60s and rain every day I'm there.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!