Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foilboarding!

Default Foilboarding!

Anyone doing this? This was at my brother's place earlier this summer. This is my nephew's first time on a foilboard. He did pretty good, was a lot easier to learn on than the air chair. I did not get a chance to try it as it was set up goofy and I ride regular. As you can see in the second pic, the boot/binding set up is similar to a snowboard - you put the boot on separately then buckle it on to the binding which is attached to the board. It's imperative that you don't come out of the boots when foilboarding - don't want that foil smacking you!

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Any cheaper than an air chair? Thats is what has always kept me away from buying an air chair.

Foilboarding looks like it could be a lot of fun. Are those bindnigs not the Hyperlite System bindings?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Yeah where would you even find one of those.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

I'm not seeing these being much cheaper. I was able to find one on Ebay.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3203607...Types&var=sbar

Little bit out of my budget range.
    2006 Mobius LSV

I'm not a big advocate for using a helmet for boarding activities but this would be a good choice for this activity. Besides the foil there is the head plant from a higher height.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I actually saw a show the other day on this. But it was with Laird Hamilton, and he's being towed into ocean waves on it, and riding for ages on said waves. It was awesome. I think I'd steer clear of it behind a boat though...
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Wow! Those look wild! I'd like to watch someone ride those, but not me. I see knee surgury in my future if I tried one of those LOL. If I soehow found myself on one I'd have to be geared up with helmet and knee braces...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

I would rather sit down to ride it anyway. Alot more comfortable...
    2007 Moomba Outback V
    2015 F-250 PSD CC

2012 Fuse 40 T-bar
    Sky Ski Le-38
    XXX front wing
    UFO rear wing
    Evo tower

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Any cheaper than an air chair? Thats is what has always kept me away from buying an air chair.

Foilboarding looks like it could be a lot of fun. Are those bindnigs not the Hyperlite System bindings?
    I don't know what the binding/boot system is, didn't pay that close attention.

Quote Originally Posted by walb0244 View Post
    I'm not seeing these being much cheaper. I was able to find one on Ebay.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3203607...Types&var=sbar

Little bit out of my budget range.
    Yikes! And that is with no boots/bindings! The makers of the foil board don't even make boots/bindings fort it. The dealer told my brother to get a snowboard boot/binding system to make sure you don't come out of it when you crash.

My brother actually got his for "free" - when he ordered his brand new Mastercraft X25 with just about every option last summer . He also got a free air chair and wakeboard/binding set up of his choice. Just goes to show how much money the dealer made on him on the X25

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Foiling can be very dangerous. Helmets should be worn. Cuts , blood, and broken noses can all occur. This brave soul didn't even know he was bleeding with it looking like a Jaws IV movie when we came back to pick him up , let alone know his nose was even broken.
    Wow doc, how did this happen? I assume it wasn't just from hitting the water. Was this from riding an air chair? Did he somehow get hit by the air chair or foil?

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    I actually saw a show the other day on this. But it was with Laird Hamilton, and he's being towed into ocean waves on it, and riding for ages on said waves. It was awesome. I think I'd steer clear of it behind a boat though...
    Yeah, I saw that too and I think that was the genesis of the foil board for boats. Laird saw someone using an air chair and he decided to try the foil on his surfboard.

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    Wow! Those look wild! I'd like to watch someone ride those, but not me. I see knee surgury in my future if I tried one of those LOL. If I soehow found myself on one I'd have to be geared up with helmet and knee braces...
    We were only going about 12 mph in these shots but I can definitely see some blown out knees and ankles from crashes when going faster or doing jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by murraymoomba View Post
    I would rather sit down to ride it anyway. Alot more comfortable...
    I didn't get to try this since we pulled it out late in the day but I've seen my brother on his first day on the air chair and the foilboard and he definitely got the hang of the foilboard much faster than the air chair because we know how to wakeboard and the skills transfer to foilboarding. The air chair is a completely new experience and hence, more difficult to figure out initially.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

this was from a gainer attempt and I figure hitting his knee on his nose
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug