Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Very sad day

bbyquist, I've been with several different insurance companies over the years, state farm being one. They're all crooks as far as I'm concered. After I bought my second boat I started shopping again because they wanted way too much for coverage. I finally landed on Pemco. They are a Washington based company and only cover WA residents. They have the best rates, best coverage, and I have never had ANY issues with ANY claims. If this ends badly I would seriously look into them.

They hold my home, cars, boat, trailers, and life policies. Absolutly love them. At least have them work up a quote for you. I think you'll be suprised.
    I'm pretty sure you get a discount right off the bat because you don't live in King County (Seattle).lol

PWI as usual...

Just make sure when you do replace it, that you take protective measures, now the thieves know where stuff was, and know it will probably be replaced with similar stuff...

yeah tailgate, I had thought about that. So any good alarm systems for boats out there?
    2007 Mobius LS

The best alarm is the sound of a shell being loaded into a 12 gauge! Seriously though... I think someone mentioned earlier that you can tie it in to your house alarm somehow... they should elaborate for you maybe.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Being as the boat sits in the driveway you'll need either a stand-alone wireless alarm solution or a custom auto alarm. Running a cable to tie in to the home alarm (if you have one) is a dead give-away somethings there. I have a wireless IR beam alarm that alerts when the beam is broken, just like the devices in business entries and can place the sensor in or outside the boat. The reciever sits on my nightstand next to the bed and it's set to high volume. I've heard of car alarms so that when the cover is removed or hatches opened it sounds off as well. There are many wireless solutions for home security that fit the bill, just search "wireless alarm system" and you'll find plenty.

Also, place a non-motion light on your home where it can't be got to and focus the beam directly on the boat. Use the type that have the dusk to dawn sensor. Light is a burgurlars worst enemy second to an alarm and 99% of the time they'll just pass it up.
    Last edited by Razzman; 09-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I tried to post from tapatalk this morning about exactly what Razz is talking about. There was a wireless home alarm advertised in Sunday's paper at Nothern Tool. It has 2 montion sensors and a control unit for $75 after a $25 rebate. It was on the back page of the ad.

Many home alarm motion sensors use a combination of IR and radar so that they are less prone to falsing. They are mounted high with a limited field to compensate for false alarms created by house pets. The results can be very unpredictable in an exterior environment due to wind, rain and temperature extremes. I like the idea of the battery-powered wireless sensor but do a little investigation first on the particular sensor and the application in a boat.

David
    Earmark Marine

I second Newty on the Pemco recommendation - have had them for 10+ years for auto/home/mariner, no complaints. When I did have a claim the adjuster was down to AWS next day to scope it out. Approved the repairs and my boat jumped from about 6th in line and waiting a month to 1st in line and back to me in about a week! 2 sizable claims in 5 years, minimal rate increase.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

bb, are you in the tri-cities? I got my motorcycle stolen out of my garage on July 4th and got a check and replaced in three weeks. Not bad, considering Progressive had to wait 10 days to see if the bike will show up before paying out. I plan to add a camera system along with motion lights to the house. I won't go wireless because they all have reviews that mention weak signals and degraded pictures. The systems are cheap but you will need to change something or the crooks will be back.

If you want to go cheap, put a wireless baby monitor in your boat and listen to everything that is going on around the boat. I use it when I go to a motel and need my boat or trailer monitored. They are good for 1/4-1/2 mile away.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

How about a pillow?

Before it gets too cold up there, just crawl under the cover and sleep in the boat with your choice of weapon close a hand. Someone else mentioned it, but the familar sound of a shell being racked in a shotgun will make most folks pee in their shorts.