Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Very sad day

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Someone else mentioned it, but the familar sound of a shell being racked in a shotgun will make most folks pee in their shorts.
    If that doesn't do it, a buck shot load in their ass certainly will

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

So does a .40 cal round from my Glock in the still of night!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by bbyquist View Post
    Woke up this morning to find my Exile system gone. 3 amps and the sub were taken, as well as the boat trashed. It was stolen last night as I slept in my own bed just feet away. Still kind of in shock. Made a police report (they don't plan to do anything) and called my home owners insurace (insurance agent is discouraging me from making a claim). Really hate to sound sappy or cliche, but this sh!t really ruins my faith in humanity. Very depressed, really don't even want to go out to the lake tomorrow even though it's gonna be 95 degrees.
    Havent read all the replies yet, so forgive me if this has been covered. Although it varies state by state, but in general, your boat needs its own policy like any other motor vehicle, and therefore your HO policy will not cover any loss associated with the boat. Either way, your agent is right, you dont want to make a claim to your HO unless its really really major.

Sorry to hear, hope it all gets worked out. its bad enough to have something stolen, even worse when they tear it up to get is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Being as the boat sits in the driveway you'll need either a stand-alone wireless alarm solution or a custom auto alarm. Running a cable to tie in to the home alarm (if you have one) is a dead give-away somethings there. I have a wireless IR beam alarm that alerts when the beam is broken, just like the devices in business entries and can place the sensor in or outside the boat. The reciever sits on my nightstand next to the bed and it's set to high volume. I've heard of car alarms so that when the cover is removed or hatches opened it sounds off as well. There are many wireless solutions for home security that fit the bill, just search "wireless alarm system" and you'll find plenty.

Also, place a non-motion light on your home where it can't be got to and focus the beam directly on the boat. Use the type that have the dusk to dawn sensor. Light is a burgurlars worst enemy second to an alarm and 99% of the time they'll just pass it up.
    A wire running from the house to the boat should be a dead give away to STAY AWAY from the boat. Its probably the easiest to use and lets people know that boat is being monitored.

You could also tie in a wireless sensor to your existing alarm system if you have a wireless receiver already on your home alarm. Only issue with the wireless devices is communication if your receiver is far away from the driveway. It might be hit or miss with the signal and cause more trouble than its worth. If you can have a wireless receiver installed inside the garage your golden. I don't like wireless motions as much as hardwire ones, but they do work.

thankfully, I've got a great neighborhood. I think most of the time these things happen with people cruzin around 'looking' -not necessarily from the surrounding area. I won't leave my boat out anymore. Storage is 1 mile away and I won't take the chance for an extra 15 minutes it takes to lock it up.
    Would love to catch someone trying though. Rope, tree, several ant mounds I can collect torture from, and a call to police about an hour later.

Quote Originally Posted by loudsubz View Post
    A wire running from the house to the boat should be a dead give away to STAY AWAY from the boat. Its probably the easiest to use and lets people know that boat is being monitored.

You could also tie in a wireless sensor to your existing alarm system if you have a wireless receiver already on your home alarm. Only issue with the wireless devices is communication if your receiver is far away from the driveway. It might be hit or miss with the signal and cause more trouble than its worth. If you can have a wireless receiver installed inside the garage your golden. I don't like wireless motions as much as hardwire ones, but they do work.
    All it would take is a person with a slight bit of knowledge and they could shunt loop that exposed alarm wire in less than 30 seconds and it would be disabled, hence the reason alarm companies go to great pains to conceal all wiring when possible. Wireless today is way more robust than in the past. Even with that my 10 year old wireless sensor still works up to 100' without issues.
    2007 Mobius LSV

BBQ sorry to hear this bro. I really am and i feel your pain, they worst thing about things getting stolen is you actualy feel violated. Also it breaks all your trust with your neighbors and friends in the area. You start questioning anyone who asks about the boat or the stereo or who watches when your working on the boat. I personaly have kept my boat out all summer on the RV pad and we ahve construction going on but i make it a point to let those people know i have 3 dogs, 2 of them are larger and 1 is a Doberman. It also helps that my bedroom window is right at the Rv pad.

As for the insurance claim id make the claim. So what if they drop you, get the boat insured threw a boat company like Newty and Berg said. Think of all the money you spend on insurance and never get it back. of course they dont want you to file a claim thats money out of there pockets now.

As for securing the boat.

@Millerdad in Hillsboro, brother i sure hope you plan to keep your boat at your home over the winter. Some reasoning here. Even though that storage company is 24/7 and live on site, do you think they would notice your boat broken into if the cover wasnt messed up? Nope. Also never trust leaving yuor boat outside all winter in our climate with the constant rain and tendency to freeze at the last minute. Lastly its a great peace of mind knowing the boat is safe each day when you walk out in the garage.

Back to BBQ

There is no best way to protect your boat bother. You can cain the wheels together, pull the pin on the swing tongue, lock the coupler, alarm the boat, tarp it and tie it closed, shrink wrap it, you can even sleep in it. Trust me your boat was not a random hit. It was planed and it was scoped out bro. Dont take this personaly but you flaunted the stereo 1 to many times at your home. This means playing it to loud, playing it while cleaning it, leaving the speakers in plain view on the tower. All this is realized by the teenagers and younger men in the area. They know this gear is expensive and easy to sell.

This is another reason to watch you loved ones closly and your enemies closer.

This is also another reason to have the quick disconnects on your Exiles because you take them off and put them indoors and then people dont think its worth breaking into as much.

Lastly the only deterent from true theft is not having anything to steel to begin with, and since most of us arnt going to live like that then you have to have insurance you can trust as much as you can afford with in reason.

I might get some hate for this post but its the honest truth. I have had my car broke into 1 time, after that i learned. Keep things looking stock, dont flaunt your stuff and never ever brag to the neighbors about what you have. They will mention it to someone and you will get scoped out.

Last bit of advise i have for you is for flaunting, this means to me never crank the stereo in your boat or cars near your homes, or when you are in parking lots about to go shopping. This is the most popular place to have your stuff stolen.

I know all to well about this growing up in Tucson being so close to the boarder, you learn all the tricks to steel and not be stolen from. So fare i havnt had anything stolen in 20+ years.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    All it would take is a person with a slight bit of knowledge and they could shunt loop that exposed alarm wire in less than 30 seconds and it would be disabled, hence the reason alarm companies go to great pains to conceal all wiring when possible. Wireless today is way more robust than in the past. Even with that my 10 year old wireless sensor still works up to 100' without issues.
    That's what double end of line resistors are for. You can't jut shunt the zone and call it a day. If ULC installations in banks and vaults call for double end of line than it must be safe enough for a driveway boat

For the most part I think companies go to great deals to conceal wring more for the fact that clients don't like to see ugly wire running along their baseboard and door frames.

I agree that Wireless is pretty good in today's standards but still has short comings. I will always try to run a wire where I can.

Hey Mandley,
    Definitely no hate for your post, you made some solid points that we can all learn from. However (for the record).....A few of the presumptions you made are not at all correct. These very points make me feel a bit screwed that the dirtbags chose me.

#1) I have never, repeat NEVER cranked the system while in my driveway (not even once!). In fact, the system has only been run at or near max volume 1 time on land period, and that was at the install shop 165 miles from where I live. I rarely if ever even play it at home because my neighbors are elderly (and because I don't want people knowing what I have). I honestly do not flaunt the system.

#2) I always always disconnect my XM7s and tuck them away inside in a safe spot. I even disconnect them if the boat is going to sit at a !restaurant parking lot, friends house, etc...for just a few hours. I am really not a flaunting kind of guy! (and I have a touch of paranoia about keeping the boat stereo safe).

One point I will concede is that this was not a random hit. Our neighborhood has had an unfortunate rash of theft and car prowls over the past few weeks. In fact, 4 houses were hit on the same night my stuff was taken. The bastards are methodically casing and hitting people that have valuables. The job was definitely done by someone who knew what they were doing and had planned the job.

Anyway, I digress. What's done is done. Hopefully the @$$holes get whats coming to them. I'm a firm believer in karma.
    Last edited by bbyquist; 09-15-2011 at 12:25 AM.
    2007 Mobius LS

Quote Originally Posted by bbyquist View Post
    #2) I always always disconnect my XM7s and tuck them away inside in a safe spot. I even disconnect them if the boat is going to sit at a !restaurant parking lot, friends house, etc...for just a few hours. I am really not a flaunting kind of guy! (and I have a touch of paranoia about keeping the boat stereo safe).
    if i am not on the water my sxt65qs are NOT on the tower. they go on at the boat ramp when we get there and come off and inside the truck as soon as we pull out of the water.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD