Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Boat Rules - what are yours

So Labor Day weekend we had a full load of people - family and friends - and with no beaches available it was 10 of us in the boat for most of the day. However within just a short while I was about ready to tie all of them to my anchor line, minus my younger kids and my girl, and toss them overboard I was getting so pissed.

I'm pretty easy going for the most part when it comes to stuff in the boat, kick off your shoes, stow away your gear, have a good time. If you spill, just clean it up. My interior is not pristine so I don't go off about it. If you've got something to say to a rider make it a positive reinforcement, not tearing them down. Basic stuff right?

We're there maybe 30 minutes, get my daughter out in the water trying to get her up on the wakeboard and she's a newbie so there's a lot of coaching, starting, stopping, etc. Before I can blink these f---ing morons basically have a buffet going with food and drinks and sh-t everywhere and they're in MY WAY going back and forth from the wheel to the swim platform. I started politely asking them to move, which quickly degraded to watch out and then get the hell out of the way. Common courtesy was out the window and these f-cking bozos just didn't get it. Sadly they're family (ok, in-laws) and yes they have been on the boat before.

After numerous reminders and requests I finally had enough and blew my top. Shut everything down, spun around and unleashed on them a wrath of profanities and orders that would rival Chevy Chase from Christmas Vacation.

Blank stares - like what, what did we do? You're the one who was tripping over our stuff...

So then I get to heatedly explain how difficult/frustrating it is for the rider, driver, the safety factor, the mess factor, the cost to me to clean all this up at the end of the day, etc. Oh yea, and these folks did not contribute food, drink nor gas to the equation...

So since that wonderful episode I've been contemplating being WAY more strict and WAY more upfront about my expectations when someone steps aboard. No shoes is a no-brainer. Not leaving your gear strewn all over. Drinks are cool while underway, food is not anymore. I'll have to work on not coming off like a Tyrant when I do this because thinking back on it really gets me going again.

What else ya got I should keep in mind?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Sounds reasonable to me.

No shoes, no food that can stain, no smoking and no alcohol in my boat.

95% of the time, I have wakeboarding friends in my boat so its never a problem.

Stop inviting the people that have no common sense.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

There's definitely a line between being Captain Bligh and getting crapped all over. Everybody wants it to be a day long party and it is, but there is also being considerate of what's going on. I get impatient with my own kids when I have a newby in the water and they are walking around with food and drinks, getting in the way, etc.

When I was in high school and a few summers in college I worked for my uncle who was a former Marine Corps sgt. He would command me and several other cousins all day in a construction business. Then we'd go out on his boat and, if anything, he was even worse on the water. Many of us in my generation have tried extremely hard to make boating time fun and relaxing as we didn't really get to enjoy it all that much in our younger days. Nobody wants to be on the water with an old tyrant.

On the other hand, when folks are being inconsiderate it is appropriate to call them on it. We have to do our best to keep an even tone and ask them to think about what they are doing and tell them how to be more considerate.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

My boat doesnt run on Thanks.. Runs on Gas
    NO Shoes
    NO Cheetos (or other orange colored chips/sodas)
    Bikinis only
    Im the Captain
    Have Fun.. Be safe
    SUNSHINE DAYDREAMS!!
    2008 LSV
    Wetsounds 3-some on tower. Wetsounds in boat. Wetsounds XS12 Sub. Green LEDs interior.

Right Kane, it's not just what I'm saying but how I'm saying it! Given that they are in-laws I can only stand them in smaller doses anyway, but I was stuck with them being "invited" on this weekend and quite blown away at how bad this particular situation was. Looking back now it was a similar situation back at camp - they were more than happy to belly up to the table and eat the food which we had brought and prepared, and more than happy to disappear when it was time to clean up and burn up all the firewood we brought/bought. Once again - really caught me by surprise.

Shockingly I wasn't real hot on the idea when it came up to "do this more often"...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

- One Activity at a time. We all tube, then we all ski, then we all Board, then we all surf.
    - In the seats unless surfing.

That is about it

My friends rules to his daughters:

"Boys are bad, keep both hands on the rails"

-- bk
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

I don't have too many rules. It is just a boat and gets treated as such.

Don't care if you wear shoes, eat in it or get it soaked...I do it, you can too.

My peaves:

While floating around, if you attempt to throw an empty beer can into the boat and you miss, you gotta swim after it and try again untill you get it in.

If you HAVE to bring a cooler on my boat, make sure it's small enough to fit under the dash
    and in front of drivers feet

Don't be bringing a lot of boards unless they all fit into my tower racks.

I hate stuff being all over the place creating an obstacle course inside the boat.

Ed I am pretty much the same way. I have come to realize that I want to have fun on the boat and worrying all of the time takes away from my enjoyment. All of the people that go out with me know common sense when it comes to being on the water though if they don't they learn quickly.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by madriding1 View Post
    My boat doesnt run on Thanks.. Runs on Gas
    NO Shoes
    NO Cheetos (or other orange colored chips/sodas)
    Bikinis only
    Im the Captain
    Have Fun.. Be safe
    I love the first rule. Hahahaha. Need to get me a decal made with this that goes on the windshield.
    2006 Mobius LSV

No red/orange chips, no tabacco products, no glass, no kids, no shoes, bring your own towels, DON'T touch the stereo, and no attitude. On one occasion I let a buddy bring a female friend that claimed she was a good at wakeboarding. She didn't bring a board and after a couple falls while not trying ant tricks, she said MY wakeboards sucked and she can't ride them. Her and her attitude lasted about an hour on the boat before she saw the ramp.