Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible water damage

I have a '06 Outback DD that I keep docked. During a 3 day storm my bilge breaker tripped causing my boat to fill with water. I ended up with enough water in the hull that there was about 1" of standing water above the floor level. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what procedure should I follow before I begin to use the boat again to ensure the safety of the mechanical components?
    I’m relatively new and this is my first posting so I would like to apologize if this isn’t the correct format or location for this question.

Assuming you have all the water out, I'd take the clamshell off and put a dehumidifier in the boat with the cover and a tarp over it to get it dry. you probably have water in your engine oil as the dipstick tube entry point may have been compromised, check the oil for water, change the oil before you run it, then run it, then change your oil and filter after you run it. there shouldn't be any water in the filter so no need to change it , the first time, unless you have already started the engine with water in the oil. I'd also spray the engine , motor mounts anything metal with an anticorrosion spray (fogging oil ,wd 40 ) and wipe it down.

No expert, just what I would do
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Agree with Doc. I'd run for 3-5 min. or so and see what you get. Keep a close eye on it for the next several hours. You may have escaped unscathed but you have to be extremely wary of water in you oil, etc.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

check your transmission fluid, as it was definately below the water. It may need to be changed. Get the engine started as soon as you can. As your starter has been underwater, it will rust if you don't get the moisture out and get some type of film on it.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Personally, before starting or anything I'd change oil and trans fluid, just to be safe. A starter is way cheaper than an engine or transmission!
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    check your transmission fluid, as it was definately below the water. It may need to be changed. Get the engine started as soon as you can. As your starter has been underwater, it will rust if you don't get the moisture out and get some type of film on it.
    Wow how did I forget about the tranny..... Its is more of a sealed unit and for the time it takes you should drain and refill it as well.....then if you see any water in the drained fluid , I would change it a second time like the engine. Keep us posted
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Thank you everyone for the advice. I actually started the boat as soon as I was able to drain all of the water from the boat. After running it I checked both the transmission for signs of water as well as the oil and did not initially see any indication that either had been compromised. Just to be safe I change both the oil and the transmission fluid and was happy to find both H2O free. Thanks again. The only remaining concern I have is the starter. It seem to be working fine but it did “skip a beat” this weekend after sitting for a week without operation.

Good to see that so far the signs are positive and no damage. Even though no visible evidence of water, good that you changed the oil and trans fluids. Hoping that the starter skip was a fluke and nothing more.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

might as well get a starter at this point, have a feeling its only a matter of time
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

That’s what I’m thinking. Anyone have advice or experience purchasing and replacing a starter?