Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unwire Moomba Cruise From Ignition And Wire Always Hot

I am seeing if anyone has done this or thought about it. I shut my engine off evertime people board or get out of my boat. The problem is that the Moomba Cruise when left on resets to 0 mph and the boat goes nowhere. I want to disconnect the source wire from the ignition and rewire it to the constant on power source so that it stays on when I shut the boat off. This way it will keep the speed setting that I have set when I turn the boat on and off. I can turn the cruise on after I start my boat, and then shut it off at the end of the day.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

I am assuming you have the same system "Moomba Cruise" that I had on my '08 and it is RPM based not MPH.The problem with the Moomba cruise is that any time you throttle down or shift to neutral if you do not turn the cruise off and try to start again it will bog down with the RPM limiter and not accelerate properly. I learned this as others here by doing it and not knowing what was happening, then I asked on the forum about the bogging down after I pick up a rider and the first question asked by everyone was "is your cruise on".... The answer was to turn the cruise off when I picked up the rider, get up to speed again and turn it back on. So the answer to your question if it is the same cruise as the one I had is no, it will not make a difference to wire it hot all the time. Hence the reason a lot of us have switched to Perfect Pass. Yes it is expensive but worth it in my opinion. Hope that answers your question.

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

As long as you keep the boat running, which will keep the green light blinking, the cruise will maintain the same speed setting no matter if you go to neutral or reverse or anything else. It is when you shut the boat off, which shuts the green light off, that you lose your settings. By the way, the cruise is speed based as of 2010 model year. I just want to keep the power to the cruise on at all times unless I actually turn the switch off.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Just pay attention to RPM and reset every time you start. On my boat 2,500 = 20mph in the spot we ride in. Using the cruise with RPM vs. Speed drastically improved my perception of it's performance.
    2013 Outback V

Interesting to know they changed the cruise to speed vs rpm in '10. Another problem with running it hot all the time is that anytime you forget and leave it on while your just relaxing or whatever is that it will be draining your battery along with the stereo and whatever else is on. It may be more hassle to remember to turn it off once you get used to leaving it on all the time. It was not to much of a problem for us as we only turned the engine off when changing riders and were used to turning it off every time we turned around to pick up a fallen rider. I know that is not what you want to hear, but I could see several issues with running it as all time hot...

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

Hook the hot wire to your accy switch on your dash. You can leave it and shut the boat off. It will stay on. I do like my perfect pass though. I can preset 8 (I think) and it will remember them. Just bring up the name and go. I love it.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Please let us know how that works when you're done. I have a 2010 OBV as well and same basic Moomba Cruise. If this works I'd like to know more about how the modificatin was done. Thanks!
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

I have the same issue on my 2010 Outback. I can deal with the reset on "ignition off" but it is a hassle and, because I like to have the speed control already set when my lady pulls me, it means that I always have to go into the water with the engine on (I don't allow others to do that). It will be interesting to hear the results from having the CC always "hot" - please post results. I may try to measure the amount of current it draws when on but with the throttle in neutral. It would probably be easy to remember to turn the CC "off" whenever trailoring (because I put my drain plug on the dash under the CC) but it might be easy to forget if the boat is left at the dock.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

It's always been problematic with us too. I'm interested now as well in a solution that runs power from an accessory switch on the dash. It'd be no more an issue than remembering to turn your stereo switch to "off" when your done for the day.
    Sounds like a good "how to thread"

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Hey jstenger, any updatea on this? Thanks!
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V