Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yeah. Set it and forget it is exactly what I'm going for. Although I do have to pay attention to the draining as I will not have timers to turn the pumps off...

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    How do you prevent auto filling on the rear bags? woulnt water just pass thru those aerator pumps and thru the check valve and fill the bags? are the rear bags above the water line? what about when underway does it force water into them?
    I removed the stock 3/4" intake with the scoop and replaced it with a mushroom type 1" intake. Since there is no sccop, water is not forced up the line when under way, so a vented loop is not necessary for the rear bags. Just splice in a simple $14 check valve on the fill hose to prevent auto draining. The front bag is a different story. I tried a vented loop but it still autofilled when underway since the bag is below the water line. So I finally went to an Irritrol for the front fill line.

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    Thats the other great thing of the reversible pumps. one pump one line very simple system, no loops needed no check valves needed. no worrying about where you mount the pumps and whether there below the water line or the angle of the out put is correct... I got a few extra minutes to wait for the bags to fill with the slower pump.....

sort of like a set it and forget it deal.....
    Well, I think there are pluses and minuses to both but to your points above: I didn't use any loops, 2 check valves is a nothing deal - $30 and 5 minutes and it's done, the three jabsco pumps are huge and you still have to mount them someplace, and I don't know what angle of the output you are talking about. If you are starting from scratch, you are right - the install is simpler on with the reversibles. But if you already have an old style GIII, you already have the drain pumps and hoses in place so it's not a whole lot of work to redo the fill side. But I understand that you are partial to the new system and that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 08LSV View Post
    Yeah. Set it and forget it is exactly what I'm going for. Although I do have to pay attention to the draining as I will not have timers to turn the pumps off...
    Be careful with that. There have been many times that I hit the drain pumps then got to talking or swimming or listening to the stereo, etc. and ended up leaving them on for an hour or more running dry. No harm done on an aerator pump but you will fry your impeller real quick with the reversibles if you forget to shut them off. And you can't tell when they are empty since you can't see the water stop coming out of the thru hull.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by 08LSV View Post
    I am definitely not trying to "diss" anybody's system. I know some people like you that never have any problems at all from the aerators.
    No worries. I think it's good to have this discussion for others out there that are contemplating a ballast system upgrade also. I'm just saying that when designed and executed properly, aerator pump systems can work great too and have some advantages over reversible pump systems, but also have some disadvantages.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I'm with Al (Cab) on this one. I had serious airlock problems on my aerator drain pumps until I rotated them per Jason at WM's suggestion to have the exit line at the top of the pump (12 o'clock position) rather than bottom (6 o'clock) like my original install. Never a hesitation since doing that and my 1100's fit tight in the rear compartments with no excess room at all so bag bunching is pretty consistent.

Fillwise I understand the pumps fighting for flow and the lack of desire to drill more holes. Bumping up to a larger intake (1.5") and utilizing the same hole as your current intake, opened up to fit, could resolve that pretty quickly though.

A few simple check valves and vented loops eliminated all auto fill/drain issues and the install is all very simple, no timers to deal with, no mounting BIG pumps somewhere out of the way yet accessible, no heavy electrical draw, etc.

Overall I believe less expensive making some tweaks with the aerator system rather than going the full reversible pump route. And aren't the aerators typically a fast flow = faster fill/drain than the reversibles?

On a side note - I helped a buddy with his 08 Malibu fully expecting to see reversible pumps on his factory setup. His "high end" boat had Piranha aerators throughout.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    And aren't the aerators typically a fast flow = faster fill/drain than the reversibles?
    Yup, the $170 reversible pump on wakemakers site is rated 720 gph. The $40 Tsunami is rated 1200 gph. That is a significant difference especially when filling an 1100 lb bag.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Yup, the $170 reversible pump on wakemakers site is rated 720 gph. The $40 Tsunami is rated 1200 gph. That is a significant difference especially when filling an 1100 lb bag.
    on paper it may look significant but in reality its another 5 minutes..... I guess if someone is impatient its a big deal. to me 5 minutes really isnt a big deal...

Like I said, to each there own. Both systems definitely have there advantages and draw backs. I definitely like the aerators with no sprinkler valves over the stock GIII. Being my first time to install a ballast system, I think I just got burned out trying to get it right with the aerators. I know it can be done as some of you have systems that work great. The extra fill time is not a problem for me. I would rather it take longer and just be easier for me, only having to worry about watching for draining the bags. I usually watch them drain anyway so it is not much of a change for me.

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

Here's something you can't do with an aerator system:

This is the T off of my line that runs to the IBS:

Filler Up:

Draining:

And here is the wiring diagram that I promised to send. Not sure if this makes sense or not as it was modified by my Marine Electrician buddy:
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Thanks That is great! I will print it out so I can take it with me this weekend. I am hoping to get it buttoned up by Sunday night...

Is there not way to T off a line when you use an aerator? I mean like if you T'd off and put valve in?

------Sold-------

Yes, you can T-Off the infill pump but how would you get the water back out of the bag? Aerator pumps are not reversible nor are they self priming remember?
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V